Wacky GPS?Support

Last Updated:

1. methoderik

methoderik Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So made the plunge, traded in the Wife and I's Hero's for the Moment last night. Played on the couch with it for almost 3 hours on a red battery before it finally shut off. Loving this thing, zippy, fast, not as much of a downgrade from Sense as I expected. But....

What the flip is going on with the GPS? Got in my car this morning and turned on the GPS and opened/registered sprint Navigation. Started driving while it was downloading the route and began my journey to work. GPS worked great for a few miles when I hit traffic. The little "avoid traffic 3.2miles" button popped up so I said what the heck and pushed it. From that point on the GPS went nuts. Kept acting like I was getting off exits and putting me on nearby roads, and saying "GPS Service not available in this area". This was all on a major highway in Cincinnati, where my Hero Nav had been working flawlessly. I even tried exiting the Sprint Nav and restarting the trip.

I don't know kinda lame, hopefully just a one time deal. I am going to retry on the way home and see what happens.

Anyone else have any similar issue?

Advertisement
  2. Darth Pooh

Darth Pooh Active Member

From what I understand, the A-GPS is disabled due to 1.5 Android (HTC used hackery and black magik to get it to work as a stop gap to 1.6-2.0), so you didn't have A-GPS and when the GPS gets wonky, it has nothing to fall back on.

3. methoderik

Seriously? That is not going to work.

4. satinkzo

satinkzo Well-Known Member

5. jmz768

jmz768 Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with Sprint tech support and there is some kind of issue with getting a GPS location when using the wireless network. I'm in the Detroit area and my GPS tells me I'm somewhere in Alabama. If I switch to use GPS sattelites instead, I get a lock on my proper location in less than 3 seoconds.

The tech had no idea what the cause or fix is but did look and see that other people have been calling with the same complaint. As long as I can get a good lock on sattelites I'll be fine.

6. kayawire

kayawire Well-Known Member

Yes , I had the same issue recently....GPS completely flipped out on me:mad:
    the same route on the Hero and my son's instinct worked perfectly!

7. Darth Pooh

Darth Pooh Active Member

This is one of the major reasons I won't switch to the Moment, have the Hero, under my 30 days.

I picked up the Droid for giggles yesterday and the GPS (with google nav) was flawless. And worked right out of the box... I won't be keeping it but prob won't keep the Hero either. Sprint's Android offerings need to improve quickly... these two devices are pure crap plagued with problems. No CDMA device should have been released with anything under 1.6 (and if you REALLY think about it, 2.0 since it was developed for CDMA in mind).

8. methoderik

Yeah I am pretty perplexed with the whole deal. Sucks because I spent a couple of weeks investigating the moment on the forums and nobody really mentioned that the GPS was totally wack.

Other than that, I love this thing.

Don't know what to do. I loved the Hero but the Visual Keyboard just didn't do it for me.

Are they really talking Spring before an update!? That's forever from now. And does 1.6 really fix this issue?

9. Flipper

Flipper Guest

Yeah, that's my one complaint too about this phone. On the Hero,it was flawless (to the point where it was freaky good).

10. methoderik

So will a third party Turn by Turn GPS app like CoPilot work on the Moment?