Wait for OTA to root or root now?

Last Updated:

1. ninjakyle

ninjakyle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am planning on rooting but wondered if I should wait for the OTA to be pushed?

How long do you think it would take to get the OTA that is root friendly?

Advertisement
  2. TheWhiteBandito

TheWhiteBandito Well-Known Member

Wait for the OTA to be pushed. It should take a few days, probably less than a week for the OTA to be root friendly. My reasoning for this is that if you install the OTA now, you can still root using Unrevoked.

3. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

i would wait its getting closer so just hold on a lil longer for the official

4. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Note: the latest rumors state the the OTA has been rolled into 2.2 planned for end of July/August.

It is VERY possible the 2.2 update could fix the exploit being used to root the Dinc. so if you take the stock OTA you may not be able to root, at least not using the current method.

5. ninjakyle

Hmm. And the great debate gets more complicated.

Really want to root this thing, but also want 720p and better battery life and other legends that may or may not come in the next 3 weeks.

6. bubbleywine

bubbleywine Well-Known Member

i would root u can always ruu if the 2.2 update is real and not root friendly im running 2.2 now anyways so but it is up to you

7. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Root now. Once the OTA gets pushed, don't update. Wait until it gets hacked for root and either install using the future hack method for stock ROM or wait a few days until your ROM builder of choice modifies their ROM to include the OTA mods while maintaining root all along.

8. neuro_dee

neuro_dee Member

agreed

9. ninjakyle

You talked me into it.
    Great points.
    thanks for the info.

Root, here I come! Going to do it tomorrow.
    Last chance if you have a reason that I should wait....

10. smurfe

smurfe Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing. I was rooted and rolled back to stock todays as I thought I was going to return my Dinc due to crappy service at my house. They didn't have anything to swap me to and set me to different towers or something. I got some type of update an hour later (I dunno if it was the OTA update everyone is talking about or just what ever they did at the store today) and now seem to have better service at the house. I was averaging like -102 on the signal and now I average around -78 to -88 for a signal. I have a tower less than a half mile from my house if even that far. My neighbor has a Droid X and get like a -60 to -75 signal at my house

I was wondering if I should re-root or just leave it and wait for the update. Also, if I re-root do I need to format my sd card to fresh before I would run the unrevoked thing again? I still have the files/folders from rooting on the card. It was a pain setting everything back up after the rollback install. I want root for wireless tether, I don't really use any of the other features.

11. ninjakyle

Unrooting looses all your settings and files that you have right?

12. bubbleywine

bubbleywine Well-Known Member

yes

13. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

The OTA update was probably the old OTA since you'd reset things back to out of the box condition. If I had to guess, I'd say all they did at the store was update PRL (*228, option 2).

14. palomosan

palomosan Well-Known Member

I was waiting but after hearing that the OTA got pushed back, I rooted, it was flawless using Unrevoked method (the latest one)

15. smurfe

smurfe Well-Known Member

I think that is what they did. I didn't know if I would get some type of update when they did what ever they did. I had thought about it might be an older update but I have never got any updates since I got the phone. Maybe the rollback file was older than what was already on the phone when I got it? All I know is I sure do have a lot better signal now. I didn't want to have to return the phone for another flavor.