• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Waiting for Device

I had the same problem "waiting on device..."
What worked for me was this:
1) Running Revolutionary as administrator
2) Disabled the anti-virus
3) I turned off the PC synchronization (I think it was this.)
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanx for the input. i'm always curious on what works for people and what did not. i will add the run as administrator into the guide.

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm able to connect my phone to the computer. And tried two different USB cables, the one my phone came with and one from another phone. So I don't think it's the USB cable and my computer has no trouble reading the sdcard; it's 8gb.

Plugging in my phone does not give me any error messages, the revolutionary tool just sits on, "Wait for Device" when launching it.

While the dos is stating " waiting for device " go to apps/development and select debugging.

Upvote 0
i believe he said that he already had usb debugging on. are you saying to do it while it says "waiting for device"?

Yea... I had selected it as well. Checked it every time before I started the process over again. The last time I happen to check it while it said waiting for.device. and it was not checked. As soon as I checked the.box off it went

Reactions: mcbussard
Upvote 0
Yea... I had selected it as well. Checked it every time before I started the process over again. The last time I happen to check it while it said waiting for.device. and it was not checked. As soon as I checked the.box off it went

ok so to be clear the usb debugging was off before you started the rooting process and when it said "waiting for device" you then set usb debugging on? interesting.

Upvote 0
Hey folks,

I seem to be having trouble with the revolutionary S-Off and recovery tool. Launching the .exe doesn't seem to do anything besides waiting for the device.

I have a windows computer and I followed the instructions for that, I installed the HTC Driver 3.0.0.007 and uninstalled HTC Sync.

I made sure I enabled USB debugging. I've tried everything I can think of. I've plugged the phone in after starting revolutionary, I've deleted and re installed the tool and did a factoy reset on my phone. Yet I still can't get it to recognize my device.

My computer has no trouble seeing my phone; I can mount the disk, access the sdcard, and even see it in the device manager.

I don't understand why it keeps waiting for the device. Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. This is version 0.4pre4 on a HTC EVO 4G with Gingerbread.

I am having the same problem with my sensation. been trying for about 3 days i even bought a windows 7 pc brand new. I was having trouble with my vibrant and my mac last year so i just went for a pc. but ya i disables all firewalls and securities off device and pc. installed HTC USB Drivers, debugging is on its on charge only. The files extracted and simply waiting for device... if anyone has encountered this and has anything else to add besides turn debugging on.... please post on here. Im getting annoyed especially when i watch the youtube videos and i do the steps as they do em, and see the commands pop on on their screen but mines stuck on waiting for device.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem with my sensation. been trying for about 3 days i even bought a windows 7 pc brand new. I was having trouble with my vibrant and my mac last year so i just went for a pc. but ya i disables all firewalls and securities off device and pc. installed HTC USB Drivers, debugging is on its on charge only. The files extracted and simply waiting for device... if anyone has encountered this and has anything else to add besides turn debugging on.... please post on here. Im getting annoyed especially when i watch the youtube videos and i do the steps as they do em, and see the commands pop on on their screen but mines stuck on waiting for device.

have you tried a different cable? does your pc see the phone when connected normally? unistall htc sync if you have not already. also maybe run revolutionary as an administrator.

Upvote 0
One thing some of you might try is plugging into a completely different USB port. This causes Windoze to reload all the drivers and stuffs to that particular port. Never had to do this with rooting, but it has helped with other things in the past like printers and mouse/keyboards.

I like the idea of verifying your USB Debugging is on while revolutionary is running.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hey, I'm new here, but I just wanted to post this out because it helped my "waiting for device" problem. I tried uninstalling "Doubletwist" and it worked! Perhaps you have it installed too? Or any other software that may interfere with the connection.

doubletwist! thanx for that tip. will have to keep that in mind.

Upvote 0
PdaNet was the hold up!

After an exorbitant amount of time and trying everything under the sun. It was the 3rd computer out in my shop without Pdanet installed and I'm good!
It makes sense though, Pdanet uses a tether to connect.
I use it for high speed internet in the woods in hunting camp or just way out of a town. If you have it on you computer or a similar product you might want to uninstall it while doing this.

PdaNet software from ( "junefabrics.com/android/" )
PdaNet supports both USB Tether and Bluetooth DUN, WiFi, or even through VPN and PdaNet is capable of handling download speed of well above 35Mbps over USB.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0
When I went to plug phone into computer windows attempts to search for an updated driver which will never happen and this seems to get in the way of allowing the program to run. (Windows 7 professional). I simply clicked on the disappearing dialog box that appears at the bottom near the clock( should say something like installing drivers) when you first plug in your phone. Then I selected the option that appears on the next dialog box that stops windows from searching for updated drivers. Worked for me lol I'm sure this will help a lot of people as I was beginning to get frustrated until I stumbled upon this. I think that different computers may not try to auto search for drivers which is what I found was causing the hang up.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones