Walked into Verizon this evening...

Last Updated:

1. Drayton

Drayton Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm going to try to put this into a good perspective for all of you. It's not really news, just some things you might like to know. I live in a medium-large sized town in South Carolina. It's big enough for a verizon store on each side of town and ofcourse the dealers such as bestbuy. Not many people are keen on the latest technology here, atleast not in the phone department, so I figured I'd have no problem showing up at a store at 9 thursday morning and getting a Droid X in my hands. Still, I thought I'd go in Verizon tonight just to ask about how many Droid X's they would have.

My new best friend/Verizon employee responded:

"We've had people asking about those for two months. Let me go ask if we're opening early...." - She walks away and talks to my other favorite Verizon employee, then struts back like she has big news - "Yeah we're opening an hour early. There's definitely going to be a line, so I highly suggest you get an appointment."

Say Whaaa? Where I live? There's going to be a line?

I asked her how in a town like mine, so many people could want the phone, and she explained her theory that the allusiveness of the phone has people wanting it more and more. So I'm not sure if that's bullcrap or not, but I'm still amazed. They did have the Droid X cases in stock, so I went ahead and bought the bodyglove one. (If you guys want i'll post pics later) For the record, the phone is not as large as people make it out to be. I mean it's big, but it's completely pocketable even with a thick bodyglove case on. I've got the 9th appointment on thursday morning, I highly suggest you drive out to your store and get one too. They're much more likely to offer you one if you're actual there instead of calling them.

Advertisement
  2. MrNoSox

MrNoSox Well-Known Member

Our Verizon guy said they would have a DX for every person that walked through the door on Thursday. :O

3. Drayton

I'm sure it depends on your store. Who knows, my store's employees could have been stretching it a bit. But yours could also just be trying to keep the public happy for as long as possible.

4. drpotter2807

drpotter2807 Well-Known Member

I have had my store managers cell # and texting him about once a week for the latest info. I have a 8am appt. Our store is only supposed to have 10. in a 40,000 MS town.

5. MrNoSox

MrNoSox Well-Known Member

There could also be a big difference in stock between corporate stores vs auth resellers. The one here is corporate. Not sure what yours is. I know when I ordered my EVO at a corporate Sprint store it only took them two days to get it in vs the reseller that I went to that said they haven't even seen one in stock at their store nor could they order it and expect to get it in a timely manner.

6. Drayton

We have two corporate, I'm not sure of any auth resellers besides Bestbuy, target and a few others.

7. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

From what I recall from the Storm 1 launch, the store will start passing along a piece of paper upon which those waiting in line will write their names down before the store officially opens, so that they can service everyone in order.

8. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

The store in my area said they would have plenty of stock so lets hope. Although i plan on being there early thur morning.

9. airtrons

airtrons Member

I'm #1, and #2 at my local Best Buy. I called today and they still don't know how many they will get/when. No appointment yet.

I called the store on North Maize (Wichita, KS) and they're getting 50. They will hand out voucher to the customer down the line prior to opening. They're opening at 9.

Dang. The hype is getting to be real :eek:

10. JustJosh4

JustJosh4 Well-Known Member

What part of SC? Somewhere in the Upstate? I live in Greenville and won't be able to get to a store until after work but I'm hoping that there will be some units left for me.

11. freddyttt

freddyttt Well-Known Member

So you stopped in 3 days before launch and your appointment number 9 .....

sounds like she might be guessing about the loooong line;)

12. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Just confirmed my store is opening at 8am and has 30 Droid X's. Not sure how many people will be showing up though.

13. Drayton

You're probably right, but she said most people just called. She said they had only mentioned appointments to people who walked in, and had just started the list today. So 9 people in one day, asking about a phone that hasn't been advertised much? That's not bad, but not good either.

14. EKG

EKG Well-Known Member

Just called and asked my store about making an appointment in advance...they said they aren't taking appointments and are just doing first come first serve...asked em if they think there will be a line, and they said they don't expect too much of a line...maybe just a few people outside...my city is pretty big huge though, and they said they are getting 60-80 Droid X's...so I should be totally set to get one!

15. Drayton

How big would you say your town is population-wize?

Alright, maybe I just live in a freako town full of Droid X lovers. This all takes me back to the possibility the lady was just messing with me, but I'd rather take her word for it.

16. bsutton1

bsutton1 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that I get my money by Thursday so that I can get it.

17. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

Wow, I live in Greenville too. I was planning on being there in line, but I just planned a camping trip that won't end until Thursday afternoon. I'm trying to not be too crazy about it. If I can't get it on Thursday, then I'll order it online that evening. I reallllly wanted it that morning, but I'm camping instead :)

18. Drayton

You could just jip your group into moving the campsite to outside a Verizon store, but you're doing the right thing haha.

19. JustJosh4

JustJosh4 Well-Known Member

Haha. Upstate Droid/future Droid owners unite? This will be my first smart phone and I'm beyond excited.

20. HookEmHorns*UT*

HookEmHorns*UT* Well-Known Member

Just call and make an appointment

21. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I think we have about 25,000 people. I am going to get there early, I don't expect many problems getting one though.

22. Drayton

I've had some blackberries, but after constant issues, I don't know if I'd call them smartphones. I'm beyond excited too.
    Oh we're much larger than that, so I bet we'll get more than 30. I hope you're right and we both go home with X's!

23. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

To everybody in upstate SC, I was just in the Woodruff Road store today and I talked to a Tech who said they are expecting about 20 X's in the morning, and then *might* get a shipment of 50 or so later on that afternoon/evening.

24. hoola

hoola Member

I live near shelby NC and the guy at the downtown store said they will have more than enough for demand.

25. imronburgundy

imronburgundy Well-Known Member

Went to my Verizon this afternoon. They are only getting 20 units in on Thursday and said that they are all "accounted for". I told him no biggie, since I preordered with best buy. Still I live in a decent sized city in Charlotte, NC. 20 doesn't seem like many.