Wall charger messes up touchscreen?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. Spirko

Spirko Member This Topic's Starter

I got one of the cheap combo deals from Amazon, with a case, screen protector, and various chargers. It's similar to the combo that's been posted here recently. The case seems okay, and the screen protector is better than a generic one found at Target.

The problem I'm having is the wall charger (haven't tried the others yet). When plugged in to my Droid 2, the touchscreen goes haywire, making the phone unusable. It will sit there and charge okay, AFAICT, but when I touch the screen, the results are less accurate and sometimes it interprets drags or extra clicks when I merely clicked once.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Advertisement
  2. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

This is a common problem with 3rd party chargers, I've had luck with LG, Samsung, and generic ones from meritline.com

3. Allthatnsome

Allthatnsome Member

I had the same problem with the Droid 1. The seller sent me another one, it worked fine.

4. defkorn

Its not a problem with the charger, its something Motorola does with their devices. I've tried finding a definitive answer, but haven't had any luck. I had the same problem with my razr a few years ago, my droid 1, and my motorola bluetooth headset.

5. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Never had this issue w/my Droid1 using many different chargers...not normal, seems likely a problem w/the charger or particular Droid.

6. defkorn

Check the power output on the charger. If it isn't high enough you will a) not be able to charge your device as quickly and b) get the weird screen issues you mentioned. again, this is not an issue with the charger other than it possibly not being powerful enough.

Spirko likes this.
  7. Spirko

Spirko Member This Topic's Starter

The charger is only rated for a current of 500 mA, while the Motorola one is rated for 850 mA. I disassembled the charger and put a scope on the output. The voltage dropped from 5.1 V to below 4.8 V, and there was a large (0.2 V p-p) high frequency noise on it. Definitely underpowered.

At least now I have a Motorola-compatible DC charging cord that I can attach to a better 5.1 V supply.

8. JohnC

JohnC Member

I have the charger that Verizon sent me with the phone and it does this. The charger says Verizon Wireless on it and is rated at 5.0V. It is also a USB plug in. I guess I'll have to return it for a different one.