• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wallpaper headaches!

WiL11o6

Nov 24, 2012
Finding the right wallpaper in the right resolution is a pain in the ass on this phone. I shouldn't be complaining because whatever high res wallpaper I set, it comes out stunning. As of now, I use interfacelift.com and select the highest resolution possible, preferable the 3600x2000 resolutions even the 2560x1600 sometimes but that 1600 is short of the 1920 I need for the height. The wallpaper on the HTC crops the image with side boxes, which I assume is landscape mode? But that totally messes up the freedom to crop 1080x1920 because I can't crop the far edges of the wallpapers because of the boxes.

Example:

I want to set the tree as the middle of my homepage with this 2840x2400 resolution wallpaper here: InterfaceLIFT Wallpaper: Almost Fall

What I get when I try to set wallpaper as home:

What I want it to do (the lock screen wallpaper crops it right the way I want it to do):

Even after manually cropping the picture in MS Paint to 1080x1920, the boxes still get in the way to make it even worse:

A workaround that I will always be too lazy to do is just to add more pixels in white space form to the image which takes 1 second, but requires me to do on computer which I am too lazy to most of the time:

I know for the time being, 1080x1920 wallpapers are rare as the only ones that do exist are for monitors in portrait mode and even those are rare, but come on HTC! The lock screen wallpaper is done right with the crop box, but for the home screen, it's a big mess. I can't crop what I want and there's no wallpaper scrolling and no landscape mode unless I download third party launchers like Nova. What's the point of that gigantic crop box? Is there a setting somewhere I am missing? Because I am fine finding those high 3600x1600 res wallpapers and just cropping them like the lock screen does for me.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones