• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wallpaper Question

filtercubed

Jul 7, 2010
Hey Guys and Gals,
I just had a question about wallpapers, is there anyway to make for example if someone sends me pictures and i want to make it a whole wallpaper with out the cropping box that shows up? I see around the forums people having different wallpapers not sure if I missing something really stupid since im newbie with this being my first android phone

It depends on the size of the image. I've got a few wallpapers I had on my LG Dare that are 240x400. When I drag the box out, it will cover from side to side, but I have to choose what part if the image vertically to select. Bad example because those small jpgs look like crap when blown up to the 960x854 size for the wallpaper.

But it's all about the aspect ratio. The AR for 960x854 is 1.124 while the AR for say 1024x768 is 1.333. If you try to shrink a 1024 image into a 960 box without maintaining the AR the image will be warped. That's why you have to crop part of the image to keep it from looking warped.

Here's a visual. Both images are half size of DroidX wallpaper to fit the forum screen better. The original image was 1024x768.

This image was resized to 1139x854 then cropped down to 960x854. The image still maintains its visual integrity, but notice the spool on the right was cropped out partially.
doit2it-albums-stuff-picture1706-android1.jpg

This image was resized directly to 960x854. The image is distorted, but does contain all the original image squashed into the new aspect ratio.
doit2it-albums-stuff-picture1707-android2.jpg

So the crop box on the Droid X can be pulled out only as far as it's closest edge (top or side). After that, you have to decide what to crop. If the image happens to have a 1.124 aspect ratio, you will be able to get the full image in the crop box.

Upvote 0
I have also been having a similar problem with wallpaper. Now, I understand that the average picture that is taken will need to be cropped. My issue, however, is that I have an image that fits the full screen perfectly (was made to do so) on the image viewing screen, but when I try to set it as the wallpaper I am forced to crop it.

After a bit of aggrivation and messing with my phone, I realized that the reason for this is because the droid x makes the wallpaper of a size that will allow it to scroll left and right with the different screens. Personally, I would like to be able to make the wallpaper image I have fit the full (single) screen size, instead of only seeing part of it as it scrolls. I imagine some people would like to be able to do the same thing with whatever images they want to you for their wallpaper.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Upvote 0
Personally, I would like to be able to make the wallpaper image I have fit the full (single) screen size, instead of only seeing part of it as it scrolls. I imagine some people would like to be able to do the same thing with whatever images they want to you for their wallpaper.

Does anyone know how to do this?
If you use LauncherPro, under Appearance settings there's a toggle for "Disable wallpaper scrolling". Not sure about the stock launcher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones