• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wallpaper Resoulution? Crop?

Pace

Jun 1, 2009
Hi all,

I notice if you search around and read it says that the wallpaper resolution size should be 640 x 480...

Well, If I save an image and try adding this as a background, how come it wants me to crop a section of the image? I dont want to crop it, I want it how it is.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry

Hi all,

I notice if you search around and read it says that the wallpaper resolution size should be 640 x 480...

Well, If I save an image and try adding this as a background, how come it wants me to crop a section of the image? I dont want to crop it, I want it how it is.

Thanks,
Barry

It would be safe to assume there's a specific place for wallpapers to be saved in order for you to be able to use them at their full size...

I can't navigate my G1 right now so I can't tell you...
Although I'm assuming those files are on the G1 internal memory....

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Thanks,
Barry

Pace, I don't think it "wants" you to crop, it's just the option appears automatically for using a picture as a background. If it is 640x480, then just run the crop marks out to the edge, and you're using the whole picture, no big deal. The default wallpapers don't allow cropping probably because cropping can make a picture look all pixely and ugly, and they probably want those default ones looking their best.

It's funny, how different people can be about something. For one person, it's seen as this imposition, an annoyance. For another, it's a handy tool that is appreciated. I wonder how devs figure out which way to go when so often a feature or function can be so wide in it's reception?

Upvote 0
Pace, is it that you don't know how to use the whole picture?

I can see how that might look that way. With a lot of things on these touch screen devices, touching different elements can produce different results.

When you pull up your picture to use as a wallpaper and you get that crop box with the orange outline you can move that box around, AND you can resize it.

To move it:
You touch the inside of the box and slide you finger around, this is probably what you've done already.

To resize:
Touch any of the orange sides of the crop box. You'll know you've done it correctly when you see little white arrow buttons appear in the center of each side of the orange outline. Four arrow buttons, one for each side of the box. Without lifting your finger,you can slide and it will resize the box. If you don't see the white buttons with arrows, you're not on the border, and can't resize.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies and now that I understand, it works exactly as intended :)

Thank you very much.

I agree its useful to be able to crop the image to a section you choose or have the whole thing.

The mistake was on my part not understanding how the tool worked properly. But thanks again for pointing out how it works, that's great :)

Upvote 0
I've never understood why it doesn't start with the full image by default, BUT you don't have to crop it. Grab the edge of the picture and drag it to it's full size. Then you can use the entire image.

It's possible with all the data those sneaky bastards at google get from us users, they discovered (probably on picasa) that the first thing most people do with a picture is crop it. So they made this a default function of non-standard pictures.

Upvote 0
Hi all,
a very odd thing started happening when I tried to set my wallpaper to a pic I downloaded from the internets:
~I click menu & choose wallpaper.
~Choose picture gallery.
~Choose the pic I want.
~Pic appears but orange crop box is only portrait orientation - the width of one screen (I currently have it set to 3). If I set this I can move to left & right screens' shortcuts but pic doesn't scan.
Before this all started I could crop out any part of the picture I wanted, zoom in & out & what I saved would fit the dimensions.
Also tried with another pic that was already set for the 640x480 and same thing.
I'm using OpenHome v83 on a rooted G1 running 1.6 build DRC92.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0
If you use open home close it out!(I decided to close it out fully I've never tried it just switching between the regular home app and open home, I use TaskPanel to operate my aps BTW) Then you want to select the option to change your wallpaper from the regular home screen and the crop box is in landscape orientation instead of being in portrait like it is in open home. I think I am going to email the vendor of open home and get them to address this issue or even improve upon upon the crop box feature for open home and allow it to rotatable.

I have MyTouch 3G for those who are wondering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones