• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
caddyman: i really appreciate it.

I mean i am pretty good with figuring things out. But this wallpaper thing it driving me nuts. What program did you use to do your magic on this picture.

I am pretty fast learner when it comes to things likes this.

I was fiddling around with Microsoft office picture manger to resize pix.

but when i resized picture quality diminished.

Upvote 0
I'm sure that Caddyman covered it correctly... here's a slightly different spin on things.

The bottom line is that if you use a picture which is either:

640 px (W) x 480 px (H),

or an aspect ratio (W:H) of 4:3, that little green box will exactly match the wallpaper you provide, so nothing will get cropped.

Feel free to download this image and give it a spin if you don't believe him

Eris_640x480_wpaper_wborder.jpg

and make it a wallpaper.

The vertical lines are 40 pixels apart... each home screen is offset by 40 pixels from the prior or next. Not only that... but there's a little bit on the far left side and far right side which are not used. (You can drag the screen a little bit left or right even though you've reached the last home screen in that direction... if you try really hard, you can see the last 40 pixels - try swiping fast and repeatedly with the above image)

eu1

Upvote 0
darn Microsoft office picture manager won't let me resize to 640 x 480

it keeps giving me 640 x 429

Probably your original image is not exactly in 4:3 proportions, whatever its pixel sizes start out with.

You can get around that by either cropping the original to those proportions, and then resizing to 640 x 480, or over-riding the control that locks together rescaling operations so that the picture doesn't get "stretched" or "shrunk" in one dimension more than another. (If you don't shrink them or expand them by the same factor, circles will become ovals, and people will become fat or skinny - that's why by default they are locked together.)

As for the quality of your images, you can't start with a small image and make it bigger without the quality suffering - it's better to start with a larger image and shrink it than to go the other way.

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones