Want a boost in performance? Gumbo custom kernel!

Last Updated:

1. cvam1985

cvam1985 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Gumbo custom kernel is the best thing to happen to my hero since flashing Fresh. It has virtually eliminated all lag and my battery doesn't seem to be suffering.

Check it out and try for yourself!

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=625940

Advertisement
  2. nck4857

nck4857 Active Member

I just installed this today and defiantly noticed a speed increase immediately...

3. imb951

imb951 Well-Known Member

+1

4. ndp506

ndp506 Active Member

dumb question- do i rename the Gumbo zip as 'update.zip'... i'm running fresh 1.1 and according to xda, i don't to a clean wipe, but when i reboot into the boot screen, it asks if i want to wipe the memory... any ideas wth is going here?

5. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

You don't have to change the name. Just select flash from SD card and select the .zip. Can't really help with your other issue...

Though this thing is LIGHTNING FAST! Rotation in messages with the keyboard open is nearly instant.

6. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

that kernel is already incorporated into Modaco 2.2, right? Can't remember...

7. Jedis

Jedis Active Member

8. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

No it is not. Gumbo built his own kernel.

If you are hacking your phone you may want to read up on XDA as that is where all the discussions are.

9. tatonka_Hero

Oh I read XDA more often than this, I just couldn't remember which was in Modaco lol. Just looked, and Modaco's got his own custom kernel in it, which is what I thought but I simply couldn't remember for sure and figured I'd make sure

10. ndp506

ndp506 Active Member

thanks for the info... it was really weird, after a couple re-boots i got the normal boot screen... just loaded up Gumbo... already seems faster, lovin it!

11. TerrBear

TerrBear Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are holding the Home button down for too long. Just hold it down until you see the HTC logo and then release. I had the same problem.

12. ukcatsfan

ukcatsfan Active Member

i did this last night and i love it. i keep lovin the hero more and more. it really is super fast and responsive as hell. ir your phone is rooted, you should definitley load this and setcpu, you will love it

13. tatonka_Hero

ok, forgive me for being an idiot tonight and not being able to find what I'm looking for, but how do I install an app such as Setcpu from my computer to my phone, if I'm using apps2sd?

edit: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. Have some other issues with storage space at the moment though...

14. djkleric

djkleric Well-Known Member

I have this kernal and setcpu but cant get it to work properly. I'm on fresh 1.1 and my superuser app does not show me any options.

the kernal is there but set cpu wont adjust. Any help would be awesome

15. cornelious

cornelious Member

I'm really blow away by this. My Hero is responding like I always hoped it would, bet never did.

16. Fird

Fird New Member

I installed this over the MoDaCo kernel and it boots and seems to run just fine. Not using SetCPU at this time, though I probably will. Its still a little choppy at this point, but I run my Hero LOADED, all screens full of crap, lots of widgets.. its likely just out of horsepower.

Fird

17. tatonka_Hero

I had a slight issue doing it over Modaco. Well, it worked fine, but I was working on getting SetCPU on, and I screwed something up big time. Might have had something to do with Apps2SD, since it said I didn't have enough storage to install another app. So now I'm in the process of re-doing EVERYTHING lol

18. durandetto

durandetto Well-Known Member

Anybody got a quick step by step on how this is done? I was thinking about dling the less aggressive one, do I just load it on my sd and apply the .zip in recovery? And with setcpu, do you just dl the .zip and unzip it then use the pre-kitchen to Install? Thanks for any help.

Ted

19. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

20. Palomino

Palomino Well-Known Member

I tried following the instructions but I get a error symbol and nothing happens until I eject the sd card?

21. chestont

chestont Member

22. Palomino

I get like a rooted screen asking me to push up for fastboot, or back for simlock, home for recovery. when i hit home the error caution sign comes up with the phone underneath it? Anyone got any helpful tips?

23. armandov99

armandov99 Well-Known Member

Definitely runs faster now, I am liking this combined with Fresh 1.1...thanks!

24. tatonka_Hero

it certainly SEEMS faster, flashed over Fresh1.1 now. Working on putting my themes back on...

25. Palomino

I get like a rooted screen asking me to push up for fastboot, or back for simlock, home for recovery. when i hit home the error caution sign comes up with the phone underneath it? Anyone got any helpful tips?