• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Want an Evo, but have questions

Pioneer74

Sep 21, 2010
Hi. Been thinking of getting an Evo for awhile now, but have a couple of questions. I am coming from a Palm Pre, so please bear with me. I have no knowledge of Android or HTC.

1. With the Pre, if you mess something up you have the WebOS Doctor to restore your phone to the software equivalent to "new" condition. Is there something like that for Android, or does HTC offer it?

2. I have read that some people have the ability to over/underclock their processors. Do you have to root your phone to do this? You don't have to on the Pre.

I hope these haven't been asked before. I did search, but could not find a solid answer to either one. Sorry if they have been answered before.

Hi. Been thinking of getting an Evo for awhile now, but have a couple of questions. I am coming from a Palm Pre, so please bear with me. I have no knowledge of Android or HTC.

1. With the Pre, if you mess something up you have the WebOS Doctor to restore your phone to the software equivalent to "new" condition. Is there something like that for Android, or does HTC offer it?

2. I have read that some people have the ability to over/underclock their processors. Do you have to root your phone to do this? You don't have to on the Pre.

I hope these haven't been asked before. I did search, but could not find a solid answer to either one. Sorry if they have been answered before.

yes you can restore almost any smart phone if you screw something up.

yes you can over/underclock but you have to root your phone.

make the switch! there's no phone out thats better than the evo and i've had Bold, Iphone4 they dont compare.

Upvote 0
HTC has a backup program, it backs up SMS and MMS, all options you selected for SMS/MMS, the most important settings menu data, and the words you've added to your words suggestions (when typing). Google has contacts covered, you can backup those to your Google account and access them everywhere you want. Oh, HTC can also backup contacts and calandar, but you have to use HTC sync with your PC. If that's not enough for you there are dozens of apps that you can use (especially when rooting).

Android has FULL multitasking, everything keeps running after you press the home button. If another app needs more memory apps will be closed automatically. You don't have to worry about closing anything. Never ever get Advanced Task Killer though, reason for that is because it cripples your phone and doesn't save any battery at all.

Upvote 0
OK. Here's another question. Is there a way to set up a google account before I go to get my Evo? I have my contacts saved on the Pre's "cloud" server, but as soon as I activate it I will be logged out on the Pre and unable to retrieve my contacts.

Somebody in another thread said they activated their Pre with a google account and when they went over to the Evo they just logged into their Google account and their contacts ported over. Is it too late for me to do something like that?

Upvote 0
I would agree you may want to hold off. There have been a lot of people that moved from the Pre and webOS to Android because of the better hardware and been very happy, but there are still those like me who think webOS is vastly superior to Android. The hardware is definitely magic though, leaps and bounds above the Pre.

I like the Pre, but I love WebOS. I just wish there was some new hardware for the operating system, not to mention the fact that the app catalog sucks.

Honestly, tho, I think the thing I will miss most if I take the plunge is the Touchstone. I haven't plugged a cord into a phone to charge it since the Pre launch day.

Upvote 0
I like the Pre, but I love WebOS. I just wish there was some new hardware for the operating system, not to mention the fact that the app catalog sucks.

Honestly, tho, I think the thing I will miss most if I take the plunge is the Touchstone. I haven't plugged a cord into a phone to charge it since the Pre launch day.

There's a very good chance of a new product being announced soon. I would hope before the end of the year, but CES is in January and that's where they announced the Pre in 2009. The app catalog seems to be slowly getting better, and I assume when new hardware comes out along with HP's money and marketing behind it, the app catalog will grow even more. If you're set on getting something soon though, I believe some people have been able to mod the Evo to work on the Touchstone.

I really miss webOS, and am actually looking to buy an AT&T Palm Pre Plus right now because I feel it's very much superior to Android or iOS. In my opinion, it takes the best from both. The ease of use and polish of iOS, along with the flexibility and customizability of Android. Good luck on whatever you decide, and of course if you do buy an Android phone and hate it you can always return it and revert to the Pre until new hardware is launched.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones