want an unlocked Android phone.

Last Updated:

1. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

POsted in another forum, they suggested a nexus one, sorry for a repost.

Have a droid. But am traveling to europe lots. Would like to have a phone that I can just put a pre paid sim card in. Must be a GSM quad band phone, and I need to have it unlocked to take a pre paid sim card.

Am only used to VZW as that is what I have had. Would the google phone do this, or can I unlock a TMO phone. If so, how do I do this. Also, would it be able to get data as well as voice if I purchased a sim with those capabilities.

Also, I figure if I have an ulocked phone, I can just get pay as you go sim cards here from TMO and ATT. Would these work as well?

Sorry to ramble, but I guess the gist of my question is: Can i get or unlock an android phone to use a prepaid sim for both voice and data here and in Europe.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

Nexus One is an expensive option for this. You can get an Unlocked AT&T or T-Mobile World Phone (the ones labeled World Phones are usually Quad Band for travel) and it will work.

If you have your heart set on an Android, you'll be limited, but I would suggest T-Mobile branded Android before the AT&T BackFlip (IIRC that is the only Android currently on AT&T).

Google the specs on the GSM ones out there and see what will work for you. You can pick up a used, good G1 or MyTouch unlocked pretty cheap.

3. boatman

Talderon. Thanks. So if I go to craigslist and just get a used G1, is it easy to unlock, and if so, how? (new unlocked phones, at least at best buy are $500+, at the airport $700. I can get a new iphone for $199, break the contract for another $140, then jailbreak and unlock that for $350)

Was hoping to pick up a used android that would be unlock(able) assuming one could do it.

4. Talderon

Try to get one that is already unlocked. If you have a T-Mobile account in good standing, they will unlock it for free...

Otherwise, you can find people that will get you an unlock code for $20 or less.

5. boatman

Yes, got an unlock for a BB once.

BTW, do you know if ATT or TMO prepaid cards can give you data here in the US? I would like to be able to check my email, which is why I want to use a android phone, not just an unlocked phone.

6. CirkDroid

CirkDroid Well-Known Member

I can't remember which is which, but I remember other posts where one of the two carriers did not have data options for prepaid customers.

In a pinch, wifi can take care of your needs.

7. Talderon

T-Mobile has no data plans for Pre-Paid, however, they have non-contract unlimited voice/data plans that could be used in a pinch. I know some people that paid the $79.99 for one month and used it and turned it off. Yes, they have cheaper ones if you want to use them, but if you are here for a month, it's a pretty good deal.