Want Droid...have Treo 755p....how to transfer contacts

Last Updated:

1. Smudgie

Smudgie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have used Palm for years. I have over 500 contacts on my 755p. I will not get a Droid if I have to manually transfer all of my contacts. What are my options regarding transfering contacts from my 755p to the Droid? Can VZ do this in store or is there an easier or more effective method? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

They did it in the store for me, and aside from having to combine a few contacts that transferred as multiple entries, it worked great.

You'll have a ton more questions. Read this thread: From Palm OS to Android (Droid)

Except... wait... is a 755 Windows Mobile?

3. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member

go to a store that has cellbrite, beware, some stores feel they should charge you money, we've always done it for free at my store

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

4. Smudgie

How should successful is the in store transfer usually? Should I expect that all of my 500 plus contacts with addresses move over from the 755 to Droid?

5. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member

Idk if this answers your question but the contacts transfer the only problems I've ever noticed is sometimes if you have one contact with multiple numbers it will separate the contact into multiple contacts

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

6. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member

Smudgie. Hi. I too was a Palm user for years. I still have a Pilot in a drawer somewhere...

I did it myself from my Centro using Gmail contacts. Export all your contacts from your Treo as vcard, login to Gmail, click contacts, import. You're done. I put the detailed steps into a thread here, but I can't find the thread. The title was something about switching from Palm to Android.

I had tried a number of ways and this was the only way that didn't ultimately trash all the fields.

Of course, you need a gmail account...

Good luck
    Dan

7. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

I had 360 contacts that transferred just fine, except for, as I and someone mentioned, a few that separated out into multiple listings for the same person. The Droid has a "join" command which quickly allowed the multiple listings to be combined back into one.

8. Smudgie

this sounds like good news. I will backup my 755p and keep my fingers crossed and let VZ make the transfer. I am guessing that the same would apply to the Incredible in case I decide to get this phone over the droid

9. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

10. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

I went from a Palm Handheld (not a phone) to gmail via the vcard route. I have about 400 contacts and for many of them I have home and business stuff all shoved into one contact. They all transferred without a glitch. When I went and got my Droid, the sales dude asked if I wanted him to transfer my contacts and before we could have the conversation about how he planned on doing that they had already downloaded from gmail to the Droid. Worked perfectly. The only thing that didn't transfer was the contact category, but I got over that quickly.

BigRedGonzo

11. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member

The contact category (Gmail/Androidspeak=group) is problematic. I have not found very many apps that deal with groups very well, if at all.

Dan