• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want incredible battery life? (OFFICIAL HTC INCREDIBLE BATTERY THREAD)

You know this is no different than on the Dakota truck forum I am on. I cant tell you how many times I hear Help I have a V-8 and I want to get better gas mileage. I am not happy with 15 mpg. If you wanted better gas mileage then you should of bought a 4 cylinder car. You want power then you have to take a hit in efficiency. Same goes for these threads about help with my battery life. You want all the bells and whistles but dont want to pay the price of battery life. I never worry about battery life. I have 2 batteries for my Dinc and will prob get a few more before my trip to Disney World in april.

There are more important things than worrying about battery life. If you want great battery life then get a dumb phone. My mom has a nokia that can go three days on a single charge.

I have done nothing to my Dinc but turn off a few things I dont need and right now my phone has been up for over 24 hrs and still at 71% charge. I use it for texts and phone calls. I noticed one thing when I first got the phone is the battery level goes by ones and not 5 like my original droid. so you see the number change more and makes you think oh god my battery is dying fast.

I have left my original droid plugged in all day and night and the battery last as long as it did when I first got the phone.

So enjoy your phone and all the "cool features".

Upvote 0
You know this is no different than on the Dakota truck forum I am on. I cant tell you how many times I hear Help I have a V-8 and I want to get better gas mileage. I am not happy with 15 mpg. If you wanted better gas mileage then you should of bought a 4 cylinder car. You want power then you have to take a hit in efficiency. Same goes for these threads about help with my battery life. You want all the bells and whistles but dont want to pay the price of battery life. I never worry about battery life. I have 2 batteries for my Dinc and will prob get a few more before my trip to Disney World in april.

There are more important things than worrying about battery life. If you want great battery life then get a dumb phone. My mom has a nokia that can go three days on a single charge.

I have done nothing to my Dinc but turn off a few things I dont need and right now my phone has been up for over 24 hrs and still at 71% charge. I use it for texts and phone calls. I noticed one thing when I first got the phone is the battery level goes by ones and not 5 like my original droid. so you see the number change more and makes you think oh god my battery is dying fast.

I have left my original droid plugged in all day and night and the battery last as long as it did when I first got the phone.

So enjoy your phone and all the "cool features".

I agree with your post but I have to ask the question, if you only use your phone for calls and texts, why do you have a smartphone?

Upvote 0
So does sense use more battery power? I'm not complaining, I get 24-36 hours unplugged out of my phone. I'm using a different launcher though and I want to go back to sense but if its going to cause a faster battery drop then I really dont want to do that

That's hard to say, it probably does, but not really quantifiable.

Upvote 0
Looks like menu>settings>wireless and networks>mobile network

Shutting off the mobile networks....shuts off the 3G.

This seems like a no-brainer. When I'm working and not surfing, I don't need e-mails dinging every two minutes, I just shut off Push, using the power settings app, and shut off the mobile networks. Isn't it much easier to just hold down the power button at the top of the phone, which brings up a dialoge box for shutting down the phone and shows the current state of the mobile network? Select the "mobile network is currently ON" to change it to off. Seems like less steps to shutting the mobile network off when not using it. I can still receive calls and texts when I do this.

Upvote 0
Yes I find it extremely beneficial to disable the 3G network when I'm not using it. It saves me a ton of battery life because its not constantly pushing for emails and searching for updates.

The Incredible has a built in widget that is incredibly convenient. Add to home > Widget > Settings > Mobile Network.

I use these widgets for 3G, WiFi and GPS.

Upvote 0
People think that they need every bit of ram freed up on the phone or the battery goes quicker and the phone slows down. So they use task killers to constantly kill "running" processes they aren't using. It's the windows mobile way of thinking.

Android leaves processes in memory so it can open them up quickly next time you try to use them, but they aren't actually running (unless they are a service and are intended to be run). They just reside in memory, which takes the same amount of battery as if the memory was empty. I've actually seen some people claim better battery life when they did an uninstall of their task killer, which makes sense because these task killers are meant to be run as services, thus always on.

Now there may be some poorly written programs that kill battery or don't suspend gracefully, but there is a built in task killer for that in the android settings menus. Android is smart enough to suspend processes that aren't in use and when they go off screen. Which makes me think that people who claim Live Wallpapers hurt their battery are just guessing. The wallpaper shouldn't be running if you have an app up or when the phone is suspended, so it only runs when you see it. Obviously that takes juice more than when a static background, but how long do you just stare at your homescreens?

Actually most memory techniques for working memory use a capacitance-refresh type of model in which each bit is stored in a "capacitor", 1s being charged and 0s being uncharged. The memory bit is either refreshed each tick of the system clock(or a multiple of) if it is a 1 or allowed to decay to or remains at a zero state. Since some bits will always be 1s every cycle, there will always be a drain on the battery to keep them that way. If you kill these programs with a task-killer then you are also eliminating their stored data from memory, allowing the majority of the bits to decay to 0s and saving some battery.

Upvote 0
Actually most memory techniques for working memory use a capacitance-refresh type of model in which each bit is stored in a "capacitor", 1s being charged and 0s being uncharged. The memory bit is either refreshed each tick of the system clock(or a multiple of) if it is a 1 or allowed to decay to or remains at a zero state. Since some bits will always be 1s every cycle, there will always be a drain on the battery to keep them that way. If you kill these programs with a task-killer then you are also eliminating their stored data from memory, allowing the majority of the bits to decay to 0s and saving some battery.

Interesting theory, but in practice the memory banks are accessed in chunks, and because memory gets fragmented after use for a while, even if there are bits that can be allowed to 'decay' to 0, the bits next to it are still in use, and therefore the bank still needs power. This is why there are no power optimizations for DRAM, only for CPU frequencies & voltages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones