• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want incredible battery life? (OFFICIAL HTC INCREDIBLE BATTERY THREAD)

1. Modern smartphones use Li-Ion batteries. These do NOT have to be fully discharged from time to time, and in fact it does more DAMAGE than good. That theory was based on some older versions of Nickel batteries.

Battery charger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Modern chargers are also smart, meaning they turn off your phone once it is full. So you can charge it overnight with no worries.

Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of this stuff is easily researched in various sources. Sources not based on personal anecdotes.

The rest of the advice is sound. Although I would like to see more data on GPS being off. My experience is that GPS is usually only used when an app calls for it. If nothing is using it, it shouldn't pull any more power.

Upvote 0
Leaving the phone on the charger overnight....paranoia, nothing more than that. I have been doing that for the longest time and never had a battery problem in any device I have ever used. That being said... Batteries do degrade after many battery drain cycles. In this day and age, there is built in circuits that prevent overcharging of the battery and just supply the phone with power to use whil eon the charger(yes I do this on my droid alot while surfing the web)

So all I will say is, PERSONAL PREFERENCE! I leave mine plugged, what about you? :p

Reactions: joemg
Upvote 0
Ok, I have been reading some thing about batteries here, and I want to merely state a few facts.

-Trickle charging is not what you people are referring to. If I have a batter made to accept a charge at 10 volts, trickle charging is putting a 2 (or any number less than 10) on it, and getting a smaller current flow. Lithium batteries CAN NOT do this. It ruins the batteries. The ones in your phone will accept a charging voltage at about 5V (USB spec). When you say trickle charge, you mean charge at less than 1 ampere (USB spec is 500mA). There is never any reason for you to charge your battery at anything other than 5V +/- 5% or so. All chargers and USB ports do this. Although in an emergency you can use something else (I have seen a 9V used in emergency b/c current flow is a more important thing no to exceed), it is not advisable nor logical to do that for everyday charging.

-Batteries live longer with a slower charge and moderate discharge rate. Although 1A may be within the appropriate tolerances of your battery (it is what your chargers are set as their max), a 500mA charge if you have the time may be healthier in the long run. Note these are all maximum currents. Depending on the resistance of your charing circuitry and battery, you may be getting less current. The circuit just trips at the max. The voltage is the invariable specification on chargers (except exotic ones that you will probably never use to charge a phone).

-When charging, your battery goes up to out 4.20V per cell. It almost guearenteed has a built in circuit to stop charging at 4.30 V/cell, as that is the border of unsafe. The time you spend at 4.20V/cell should be minimized.

-Lithium ion batteries require no break in or anything of that sort. The first charge is as effective as the 30th, and that is it. That being said, a complete charge and discharge will calibrate the digital charge estimator, and your battery does auto shutoff when the charge is too low (it prevents itself from dropping to "OMG my batter no longer holds a charge after that last discharge" level), so make your own call. Perhaps no more than once a month? I usually do it if I notice the battery indicator is too off, as it getting 3 hours off a charge after it says 10% remaining. I also do it when I first get the battery...I play with it, full charge, full discharge, full charge, possibly another full discharge if it happens (if not, it is probably still calibrated), and that is it.

-Lastly, a point on how a battery charges. It goes up to about 70% charge, and then tops off as the current drops down to about 10% of the initial current. Fast chargers only go up to 70%. The last part, the topping current, takes about 2x the time the first part does.

Hope that clears something up,
Nkk

Quoted from Official HTC Incredible Thread

Reactions: cubswin and Kappy
Upvote 0
It's the same battery as the Eris, so if you head over to those forums most of these questions have been answered as well :D

I am thinking that it is too! I have an extended battery on the way from Seidio for the Droid Eris (1750 mAh), but I was hoping anyone with both an Eris and Incredible could swap the batteries, try it out, and tell us. :)

Upvote 0
Please don't put a 5$ battery in your incredible. Buy a quality batt. I'm sure an extended version will be offered given the phones immense amount of hype already.

I don't know I thought about buying a 1750 from Sideo for $50 but instead ordered 2 1500 batteries from Ebay that also came with a extra battery charger for $14.99 shipped . And I couldn't be happier with the batteries they give a little better life then the stock 1300, and they look identical to the stock battery even say HTC Innovation on them. So I don't buy into all the pay almost as much as you paid for the phone on a mildly extended battery crap.

Upvote 0
I don't know I thought about buying a 1750 from Sideo for $50 but instead ordered 2 1500 batteries from Ebay that also came with a extra battery charger for $14.99 shipped . And I couldn't be happier with the batteries they give a little better life then the stock 1300, and they look identical to the stock battery even say HTC Innovation on them. So I don't buy into all the pay almost as much as you paid for the phone on a mildly extended battery crap.

+1

I went on a long trip to Africa and bought about 7 batteries for two of my digital cameras, all were of varying cost, manufacturer. I still can't tell the difference between the stock $50 Panasonic and the generic $15 Amazon special. It might be a small difference, but not enough to warrant the 4x price increase.

Upvote 0
I am thinking that it is too! I have an extended battery on the way from Seidio for the Droid Eris (1750 mAh), but I was hoping anyone with both an Eris and Incredible could swap the batteries, try it out, and tell us. :)

The touch pro 2 battery fits in the incredible and gives you 200 more milliamps. Not sure if the touch pro 2 and eris are the same. If they are then ur good to go..

Upvote 0
Citation: I am a Chemical Engineering/Physics major working in a materials science battery lab focusing on the resetting of Lithium ion batteries.

What are your thoughts on wireless charging solutions? (ie. those charging pads and what not)

Does anyone know if the incredible has overcharge prevention where it automatically stops charging when the battery is full? (symptoms would be it charges to full, then when you look at it, it'll be back down to 95% or 90% before it'll start charging again to prevent over charging.)

Upvote 0
Think I'm just going to go ahead an buy the extended battery for the incredible when it comes out. Shutting off the main reasons I'm buying this phone doesn't seem like something I'm willing to sacrifice.

I bought the extended battery for my env touch and absolutely love it. I hated not browsing the web when I was bored because I wanted the stock battery to last me through the day. Now I can leave everything on if I wanted (which I don't) and it would still last me two days.

I do go through proper charging sequences and try to get a full charge with the phone off every week. But I cannot see not using widgets, live wallpapers and apps that run in the background and push info. Those are the reasons I love android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones