• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Want OTA; Rooted from 2.1; Will this work?

mallinj

Oct 31, 2009
Detroit
I want the new radio. I'm currently rooted (unrevoked3) from 2.1 running Cyanogen 6.0. Would the following work and preserve my ability to re-root after receiving the official OTA?

Unrevoked Forever -- S-OFF
Reboot to Recovery
Load first recovery image (official Android 2.1 w/ Sense)
Try to request the OTA from settings
Get OTA and go to Android 2.2 w/ Sense
Reroot with something?? I think if I go S-OFF I can reroot without waiting for an upgrade to unrevoked.

Am I thinking this through ok? Any alternative suggestions? Also, I want to do something that can be undone in case of warranty claim. I believe Unrevoked Forever can now be undone.

If all you want is the radio (since you are already running froyo), just install unrevoked forever, and install the 2.15 radio:

Do a nandroid.
Make sure your SD card is formatted fat32
Copy the following to the root of your SD card.
http://adrynalyne.us/files/radio/2.15.00.07.28/PB31IMG.zip
Boot into hboot (volume down + power)
It will ask you if you want to update, say yes.

Reactions: mallinj
Upvote 0
If all you want is the radio (since you are already running froyo), just install unrevoked forever, and install the 2.15 radio:

Do a nandroid.
Make sure your SD card is formatted fat32
Copy the following to the root of your SD card.
http://adrynalyne.us/files/radio/2.15.00.07.28/PB31IMG.zip
Boot into hboot (volume down + power)
It will ask you if you want to update, say yes.

Did it. Thanks!

Let me pose a hypothetical though. Say I never did the 2.2 OTA and Verizon releases 3.0 OTA near the end of the year. Do you think I can do 2.2 OTA and 3.0 OTA at that time? Any chance they'll pull the 2.2 OTA to screw rooters over? I'm sure somebody would find their way around this but it concerns me somewhat that I'm not doing the OTA for 2.2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones