Want separate notifications for email and SMS

Last Updated:

1. darkcyber

darkcyber Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am currently using the default 'Droid' sound for my incoming emails and SMS messages. I would prefer to have a different sound for my emails than my SMS messages, but I cannot find anywhere to do this. Under 'settings', 'notification ringtone', Droid is set as the sound.

Is this where the email and SMS incoming notifications are set? And can you use different ringtones for these?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Stangs55

Stangs55 Well-Known Member

I've been using the free Handcent SMS app which seems much improved over the standard messaging app. It allows you to specify the notification as well as custom vibration settings.

3. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

You have to open the individual applications, click the menu and settings (or "more") and set the notification tone in there.

4. Nickles

Nickles Member

^^^^^^^^
    thank you, have spent quite some time trying to figure that out

Have you had any success in using
    mp3 files for notifications? I can't seem to get anything other than. .wave files to display in the list

5. darkcyber

Thanks for the information!

6. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Handcent is the shiz fo' sure. Its an amazing app and should be beloved by all.

If you didnt know, now you know!

7. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

I have used mp3 files for ringtones and notifications.

8. darkcyber

The only problem I have found with most of the default tones are they are to short. I have set one for my email and another for my SMS and I only get a very short audio played. Is there not a way to make it repeat the tone over and over or at least several times, to actually get your attention?

9. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

I have the same issue, but more with the alerts for Calendar reminders. I used to schedule things to wake me up in the morning with my blackberry but the short little Droid tones don't work for that.

10. darkcyber

milrtime83,

I agree with the short tones. If they would repeat 4 or 5 times, then that would work. I guess we just have to do our on custom tones and make them longer ourselves and then load them onto our Android OS phone. I just haven't had time to do that yet. Was hoping there was a simply way from within the OS or phone to do it.

Funny, when my phone rings, it will repeat that tone over and over, but can't seem to get it to do that for the email or sms.