Want the phone, but want the pushGeneral

Last Updated:

1. inspiritu

inspiritu New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,
    I am very intrigued by the G1, and played with one yesterday, and I'm basically sold.

But then I read something that seemed to imply that the fastest checking time for email was every five minutes? Seriously, you can't at least put the setting down to "Check every 1 minute"?

I only use Gmail, and I've been using a Blackberry Pearl for the past year and a half, and I've become used to messages hitting my inbox and my phone literally simultaneously.

I don't know if it's quite a deal-breaker for me, but it would be taking a step back.

So

1) Is it true--there's no real push email, and you can only get Gmail on your G1 to check every five minutes?

and

2) If true, do you think it can/will be changed by a future software update?

Many thanks. I have enjoyed reading through this forum for the past couple days.

Advertisement
  2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

I don't know where you get the "five minutes" deal, if you have your gmail set to auto-sync seems to me there is no significant lag between the device and the web.

3. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

For other email accounts....
    I think some creative programmer could create a program that would emulate the same thing as if you opened your email and clicked the "retry loading more messages" the same way you can do manually at any time .... The program would have a time selection, and of course could be run in the background ... I think do the checking for email every minute will surely reduce battery life ....

For me 15 min is fine ... and if I am expecting something then I just do the manual check ...

But i think punkzanyj is surely right ... I am not sure because gmail is not my main email service (yahoo is) .. But if you set AutoSync on then there is no reason that it would not be almost instant... again autosync is a battery drainer as well

I ran a test by sending and email from by yahoo account to my gmail (autosync on) and the email notification was on my G1 in less than 15 sec ... That is awesum in my opinion

4. inspiritu

inspiritu New Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, thanks to both of you. I'm not sure where I read the 5 minutes thing, but that's what someone said.

Alright, Autosync sounds like what I want. Think I'll get the phone.

5. lem

lem Member

It seems to me that my G1 gets e-mail instantly. Just one thing to clarify (it's been said, but let me re-state it more clerly). There are two e-mail systems on G1.

First is your primary gmail account. You have to log in to that account when you first open the box, G1 won't let you continue set-up without it. Can't change it without resetting the phone to factorhy defaults. So your phone will basically be tied to that account. That's the account that will have all your contacts, calendars synced up with the phone, and that's the one which gets e-mail right up. It seems that google knows that the account is associated with a phone and pushes e-mail onto G1 as soon as it arrives.

Then there's e-mail application for all other POP or IMAP mail accounts, for which G1 has to initiate connection to check the inbox. If you have more than one g-mail account, you'll have to use other one(s) through that application, as regular e-mail, not as one tied to the phone. So that's probably where it takes a few minutes between checks, so that you have the little delay between e-mail arriving, and getting it on the device. I'm not sure here, because I do have one other e-mail account set-up there, but I disabled the automatic check on it, as I don't need these to pop up, I just check manually when I must.

LEM.

6. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Well there is a 5 minute minimum on other email accounts that you set up ....