Want to buy Droid 2 in Canada -- need help

Last Updated:

1. yargyarg

yargyarg New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey smartphone guru's, I have a question for you. I just ****ed up my Motorola Milestone and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and shell out the cash for a new phone. Considering Motorola has released their Droid 2 with better specs, I'd like to order one from the US. Will I have to unlock it, considering my service provider already supports the droid? How hard would it be to unlock it, if this is possible? Is this a good or bad idea? What do I have to consider when deciding whether or not I want to do this? Is this even possible or am I being stupid?
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

your carrier most likely does not support the droid 2. The Milestone is gsm and the Droid 2 is cdma. The two technologies are not interchangeable.

3. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Nufsed↑↑↑

4. rdesbris2

rdesbris2 Active Member

Does anyone have any idea as to when the Pro will be available in Canada?

5. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member

The "Droid 2" is CDMA only but the "Droid 2 Global" has an added GSM antenna and 3G frequencies for North America (850/1900 mhz) and Europe (2100 mhz). The D2 Global can be unlocked to accept a SIM from foreign carriers but there is a software block preventing it from being used with AT&T and T-Mobile in the US. I'm not sure if the software block will affect users in Canada but theoretically an unlocked D2 Global should work there since it is a foreign country (technically ;)). I'm sure the hacker/modder community will eventually get it working in the US as well.

Droid 2 Global Specs

Verizon is willing to unlock the phone for subscribers who have been with them for a certain amount of time (usually 6 months) but I doubt they will unlock it for non-subscribers. In this case, the best option would be to buy one already unlocked from a 3rd party source, such as eBay.

DroidForums: Droid 2 Global Unlock & foreign SIM?

Although the Droid Pro is not available in Canada yet, here is a link to a retailer who is a selling it unlocked for use on international GSM carriers.

http://negrielectronics.com/motorola-droid-pro-verizon-unlocked.html

6. thenew3

thenew3 Well-Known Member

I have two unlocked droid 2 globals for sale. one white one that is brand new and one blue that is one week old. both are SIM unlocked. PM me if you are interested.