• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want to buy, have a few hang-ups. Please help!!!

patch321

Jun 8, 2010
i will be a new sprint customer so when i found i could get the phone for $0.01 i couldn't stop drooling. but i have a few major hang ups

1. every review i've ever read on this phone is that it is really laggy. that is one thing in a phone i can't stand. does rooting, or updating the frimware help this problem at all?

2. small screen. the iphone has 3.5, evo 4.3. this phone has a 3.2" screen. has that been a problem for anybody yet?

i really hate lagging from my phone so that would be my biggest concern. i would love an evo but i think right now that is just a bit out of my pricerange. can't beat 1 cent afterall. please help me guys!!!

You need to see the phone first hand before buying it. Not doing so may lead to disappointments. Not everybody likes this phone. You have to see if it meets your specific needs. You need to experience the screen size and see if it works for you.

If you're going from an iPhone or Touch Pro2 sized phone to the Hero, you might be disappointed having gotten used to the larger screen. If your current phone is smaller than the Hero, you probably won't be disappointed. The screen rendering is very crisp and clear, with great color. It is very responsive. I browsed a number of web pages and was able to control the font size very easily (using that pinch/stretch finger maneuver used on the iPhone). Personally, I like the screen. It's large enough for my purposes. Yes, the EVO screen would be a blast to have, because it's larger... but that makes it more unwieldy. If I wore a suit to work every day and always had a place to tuck my phone that wouldn't be in my pants pocket, I would be more inclined to get the EVO. But for over $500 across a 2 year period (factoring the extra $$ per month on the EVO), it's not worth it. I'd rather buy an iPhone Touch for separate multimedia to have along with a nice phone like the Hero.

As for the lag, yes there are some reports of this. It is a matter of perspective, what you've been used to. If you aren't too concerned about violating your warranty, you can always root the phone and improve the performance. Many people have done that with success. You can always put your phone back to OEM status if there's ever a problem, so Sprint won't consider your warranty as void.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones