• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Want to change primary Google acct for phone

bugdad

Lurker
Apr 16, 2010
When I got my Incredible I had an existing Google account with gmail. I used that account to set up my phone and had it for a few weeks that way. I installed various apps, etc.

I got a Google Voice invite and at that time I also decided I wanted to use a different, more simple, Google user name, so I set up a new account and then Voice. Everything worked fine. I thought I could then simply delete the original Google account, but it looks to be more complicated than I thought. For one thing, when trying to delete the account I am asked to reset the phone to the factory defaults, which it says will delete apps and data. I do use MyBackup Pro, so I suppose I could get it all back (after reinstalling MyBackup Pro?), but what else will I mess up. Are purchased apps linked to my phone or to the Google original account I set the phone up with?

I suppose I could just leave the original account there, but I see that there is a Google Calendar sync listing only for that account and not the new one. I've also got double the contacts now (although they are linked, so I don't see duplicates).

I probably should have left well enough alone, but I didn't and I'd appreciate any thoughts or help in the direction of deleting the original and making it all clean with one Google account.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones