Want to develop my application as offline

1. Kicker_

Kicker_ New Member

Hello there! :smokingsomb:

I'm new here, and also relativelly new to mobile development so don't bother the possible imprecisions of my speech.

I'm currently developing a music application, which scans an user music library and tries to find similarities with near music libraries using lastfm apis.

I put the process of scanning library and building a database with the similar artists in a background service that wakes up when the user turns the internet on. The objective is to only use network in this process.

With the database updated, I only need a way of passing information between different devices and it's important to me that this is a offline process (I think it's one of the valuable assets of my application).

For my research, the only offline connection between devices I know is Bluetooth :rolleyes:.

However, as you know, this technology is kind of deprecated and it's not always reliable, principally because you can only communicate in short distances.

Do you have a hint of doing this in other ways? I thought about socket connections, but for that you need to have a network connection. I also thought about creating this connection using ad-hoc networks programatically, but that I don't know if it is possible (at least, not in earlu versions of the android OS).

Thank you very much, it is a pleasure writing in this forum!

Advertisement
    :
  2. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

Moved to the Application Development forum. =)

As for your question, first of all, bluetooth is not deprecated in any way. It is still a widely used technology. With that said, as you mentioned, it is only capable of short distance communication. If you need to support complete remote communication, then there is no way to do this without some kind of network. It's just not possible with today's technology.