Want to feel Confident in your Droid Decision.

Last Updated:

1. Nbcrompton

Nbcrompton Active Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

i'll just quote my reply "hah, hate to say, but this makes me feel 1000000000000000 x better being a VZW custo! i think this phone will really make a splash when it gets out of beta with all the T-Mo customers!!"

3. raremage

raremage Well-Known Member

I'm a Droid owner. I also test drove the N1 for about ten days before RMAing it.

For the record, I think the Droid is a fine device, but I prefer the N1. See this thread for a discussion on it, but suffice it to say that this decision came down to carrier for me. Carrier being equal, I'd have kept the N1.

At the end of the day, I decided to return the N1 and wait for it to hit VZW. I made one call to HTC support (per the RMA instructions on Google's wbsite) and spoke to a nice woman that was very pleasant. I told her up front that I needed to RMA a Nexus One because TMo just wasn't working for me. I also said I couldn't wait for the CDMA version to come out, because I think it's a great device and I plan on getting one.

She was great, walked thru the return steps, and told me to expect two emails, one with return instructions confirming our conversation, and another from FedEx with shipping label and information within 7 days.

I got the first email that night
    I got the second about two days later.

No problems with the return (well, just happened, so no refund yet, but I can be patient there).

In general, it was an overall fine experience for me. I figure, all the bad info is posted constantly, so just wanted to offer an alternate experience. They don't all suck ;)

4. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Each device has its own merits. It really depends on which merits you want to hang your hat on. In either respect, I think that DROID owners have had about the same amount of glitches and problems, the only difference was we got to go to a VZW store and handled it immediately. Our N1 brothers, by virtue of the glitchy nature of Android, perhaps some hardware issues as well, did not have the luxury of a "brick and mortar" store to deal with their problems. In fact, a lot of them are going through very frustrating processes with HTC and T-Mo just to get an EXCHANGE!

You should feel confident in your DROID decision because the phone works for you, e.g. its form factor, screen size, etc. But not because our N1 brothers are suffering headaches over how Google dropped the ball, because the N1 device is a very nice device and again, some ways, better than the DROID.

5. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Perfectly said.

HTC technical support is a nightmare, btw. I couldn't get HTC sync to install on my computer no matter WHAT I tried.

Techincal support's answer? "Re-boot and try again". When I explained that I had done that they said "well, do it again anyway". When that didn't work they said "why do you want it anyway?"

WTF? Why do I want it?

Then when it FINALLY didn't load they said "Well, I guess it's not going to work on your computer. We don't know why, sorry".

Oh, and the customer service survey they sent me to fill out didn't work. LOL.

6. sooper_droid12

I don't trust anything from HTC. To me, they remind me of every experience I have had with a Taiwanese-based or China-based company. You need only peruse through ebay to find how many of those companies are pawning off something that they've replicated or copied from someone else. Don't want to buy a SanDisk microSD card?

Check out ebay to find a similar Taiwanese-based/China-based replica of the same thing. Can't afford a Sony or Samsung LCD TV? Pick up a cheap Taiwanese-based/China-based knock off LCD TV. When I watched HTC demonstrate their Sense UI, I was like: Apple, WebOS, WinMo, Apple again... they ripped off other people's ideas and label it as their own. I think the last straw with HTC was when they issued Beautiful Widgets a "cease and desist" order because his "flip-clock widget was too similar." YOU MAKE YOUR MONEY RIPPING OFF PEOPLE and you're going to go after a guy who charges a buck-fifty for an app? I have zero respect for HTC.

It's unfortunate that Google went with HTC to do the N1. But if you look at it, the best parts of the N1 don't have anything to do with HTC:

1) The AMOLED is the same AMOLED in the Samsung Omnia II, built by Samsung Mobile Displays (Korean).
    2) The Qualcomm Snapdragon Processor (good ol' USofA)

But I can tell you which parts of the N1 are typical HTC... the weak speaker. The weak earpiece. The plastic chassis. I bet you that the 3G issues that our N1 brothers are having are completely hardware... I wouldn't be surprised. And before you think this is some racist diatribe, I'm Asian and my wife's Taiwanese. We're intimately familiar with this kind of business model. And the exchange you had with HTC about their software... typical. I'm not surprised.

7. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I wouldn't say HTC is anything like a knockoff type company. They have been making some of if not the best WinMo phones for a long time, they brought the first few Android phones to us and put out arguably the BEST keyboard ever on any mobile phone, the G1/Dream. As far as customer service goes I had no trouble getting my G1 replaced for free under the 1 year warranty. Sense might be similar to other UI's but it is still very nice and with some fine tuning it could be a lot better. HTC started the whole UI overlay stuff with TouchFlo, TouchFlo 3D, and now Sense for Android and WinMo. If you look at Sense on the HD2 it is incredible and if they brought it to Android in the same style everyone would love it. The design can be hit or miss, but when they get it right it really works, like the TouchPro 2.

8. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

That's a crappy story ... but I don't need someone else's misfortune to make me feel confident in my purchase of my DROID.

9. sooper_droid12

I never said they didn't make nice devices! Like I said earlier, the N1 is a very nice device. I still think that the HD2 is the sexiest smartphone on the market right now. The term "knock-off makers" doesn't necessarily mean what they make looks like crap. As far as WinMo is concerned, they're almost exclusively the only ones making WinMo devices.

For motorcycles, China-knockoffs make some of the nicest race-replica fairings I've ever seen. But the proof is in the pudding. It's in the materials. I don't think there's a coincidence that our N1 brothers are complaining about soft speakers, sweet-spots in their earpieces and just today, weak radio signal. You see what I mean?

10. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

I agree about the speaker. The Droid's speaker is incredibly good. The one the N1 not so much. The Eris has a better speaker than the N1.

I like the plastic chassis on the Eris and the N1. Both feel like extremely solid, tight, well constructed phones. While the Droid does have a combination of metal and plastic, I don't feel that it is as well constructed.

The right "Alt" key on the Droid I have now looks like it will peel right off sometime in the future. The battery door just doesn't fit right. Either the phone chassis is a bit warped or the battery door is. At least it's not falling off like the first Droid I had.

On the other hand, the slider is very tight and does not open as easily with the slightest pressure like the first one.

11. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Funny. Common complaints about the Eris:

Wonky 3G signal (up, down, up, down).
    Weak, and I do mean WEAK, vibrate feature.
    Crappy speaker.

:p

12. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I definitely agree about the N1, it has had way to many serious problems. I don't know why it is so poorly made compared to a lot of other devices they've made.

13. sooper_droid12

My guess is because it's not an "HTC phone" in the truest branding sense. I was surprised they put it on their webpage. I don't know. I mean HTC isn't prominently placed anywhere on the N1 except on the butt of the phone (coincidence) and in smaller letters than the word GOOGLE. Whereas with the HD2, it's on the front, it's on the back... TWICE!

As far as the DROID... I think it doesn't "feel" put together solidly because it IS a two-piece phone. I think they obviously made some compromises (i.e. battery door, at least it's a metal door and not plastic; camera button), but coming from being a DSLR user, I will take a metal chassis/body any day of the week and twice on Sunday, even if it's a bit heftier.

There are trade-offs, but that's to be expected.

14. ICON32181

ICON32181 Member

Despite personally never using a G1, I'm sure there are some former Sidekick users could argue that keyboard part =P

15. ICON32181

ICON32181 Member

Also, I too feel no need to bash our N1 brothers, as I'd never get one...until they had a physical keyboard...