Want to help a newbie?

Last Updated:

1. Phone Gnome

Phone Gnome Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    Been lurking here for while and have decided to root my X.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that it would be better to root from 2.1 and then install 2.2 because of changes to the boot-loader. Correct?

If so what is the easiest root method and which programs do I need for minimal hassle and maximum stability?
    I realize there may be more to learn by going about this the long way, however for now what I want is a straightforward way to end up with ota 2.2 rooted and avoid losing the option to boatload/reflash.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
  2. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

If you're currently on 2.1 this is what I would do.
    Download universalandroot
    one-click root it.
    Download ROM manager.
    Download Koush's bootstrap recovery
    Go into bootstrap app and hit the top button make sure you get success.
    Go into ROM manager and click Flash clockworkmod.
    Go to download ROMs > stock > 2.2
    Create a backup of your current one in case anything happens.
    Just remember that once on 2.2 you can't recover using your 2.1 nandroid backup.

Phone Gnome likes this.
  3. Phone Gnome

Does that mean theres no way to get ota 2.2 with the ability to flash back to 2.1?
    Because in the future if I decide to tinker I'd like a way to unbrick.

4. Justintoxicated

Justintoxicated Well-Known Member

Technically yes, once you get OTA you can never SBF.

However if you follow the directions above you will get to 2.3.9 with root. Then you can download 2.3.15 (Basically same as OTA without the bootloader), or you can get the TBH Tranquility Build from their app, or use the nandroid posted in the "you can still get 2.3.15 without OTA" thread in this foum (I think its the 4th page or so in). That is one of the better builds right now.

If you DONT get the ACTUAL OTA, you can SBF back to 2.1 if you brick then reinstall the nandroid 2.1 backup you created and be exactly back to where you first started, or go another route.

So basically, you just can't do the Nandroid back to 2.1 once you get the 2.2 using rom manager, but you can still SBF. However you won't be able to if you get the actual OTA (at least for now)

Phone Gnome likes this.
  5. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

There isn't currently a way to get back to 2.1 from the official OTA update of 2.2. You can still downgrade if you're on a leaked version I think, just not if you're on the OTA update. However, I did see this on birdman's twitter a while back.
    So from the looks of it, he may have found a way back, but he didn't specify. I haven't read anything from him or anyone else saying that what he found turned out to be a dead end or something, but yeah.

You can upgrade to 2.2 and still be able to get back to 2.1 at some point, but if you upgrade to the OTA 2.2, you'll either have to wait a while before doing so, or you won't be able to at all unless a full 2.2 SBF is released so that we can do a full flash. The SBF for 2.2 that we have right now only flashes our /system/ directory, so it's useful, but not practical in many situations.

EDIT: It's also noteworthy that the official OTA 2.2 upgrade not only has the upgraded bootloader, (downside, obviously) but it also has the upgraded baseband, (therefore a better radio).

Phone Gnome likes this.
  6. Phone Gnome

So the current options available are:
    The "2.3.15 without OTA" version that doesn't have the upgraded baseband but does leave the option of SBF.
    or
    The "official 2.3.15 OTA" with the upgraded baseband but no SBF.

Is that conclusion correct?
    And has anyone noticed any difference between the two?

7. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

They should run about the same. Although, there has been debate about whether or not the leaked .15 is any different than the .13 leak. In my honest opinion I would NOT get the OTA. Motorola has just bent us over the table with all this bootloader crap. I'VE BOUGHT MY PHONE NOW LET ME USE IT!

Phone Gnome likes this.
  8. Phone Gnome

Gotcha,
    Preferably I'd like 2.3.15 with the upgraded baseband but none of this updated bootloader business. But that seems to in the hands of the experts to crack.
    Unless I hear otherwise, it seems the best option is to follow the steps and get the leaked 2.3.15.

I'll begin the process later tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback.

9. Phone Gnome

Thanks to everyone's help I was able to successfully install a rooted version of the leaked 2.3.15. It's running smooth as butter with no problems so far and very fast speed test results.

Just to be clear since I updated to 2.2, does this mean the 2.1 backup I created is now useless?
    On another note, anyone know the file name for the 3g hotspot app?
    (I'd like to rename it)
    And, is there a way to restore the audio compatibility taken away from 2.1 to 2.2?

Thanks again everyone.