Want to Install first ROM

Last Updated:

1. BankZ

BankZ Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This is what I have done so far:
    1. Rooted my phone with z4root from the market
    2. Installed “Droid X Recovery Bootstrap” and created a backup. It created 5 files: .android_secure.img, cache.img, data.img, nandroid.md5, system.img
    3. I copied the backup files to my PC
    4. I installed the free version of “ROM Manager”.
    5. I bought “Titanium Backup”. And then did a “Backup all user apps + system data”

So, if I get a custom ROM I should be safe right? Am I missing anything? If I install a ROM, I then need to restore all my data with “Titanium Backup”, right?

What ROM is a good starting point? I think I want to try it this weekend :)

Advertisement
  2. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Well-Known Member

im not sure what you mean your backup created 5 files ....when i make a backup it only creates one file to restore later if needed ......someone please correct me if im wrong here.....as far as a good rom it all depends on the kind of rom you are looking for ....a blurless rom,like fission or rubix focused (which i highly reccomend both)or another rom like apex which is also a great rom or you can go with a rom like chevyno1 ssx which is a blur rom but you are able to remove blur you want and leave what you want......also be sure to ALWAYS follow the instructions on the dev puts for whatever roms you go with ...if not you willl run into all sorts of problems..also make sure that whatever rom you are flashing comes pre deodex since i dont see that in your set of listed steps .....and if you want to deodex prior yourself then you can either manually do so or you can install a theme called 928 that will deodex your x and also create a theme and from there you can flash a rom right over 928.....here is the file for 928
    Easy Deodex/Odex Method For DROIDX released by 928DROID
    now with that being said ...not to try to jynx you but you will mess up at some point ,....we all do and when you do you will need these files and instructions....i suggest placing them on your pc now so you have them readily available
    Droid X 2.2 Full SBF leaked - Download now
    welcome to the community my friend

3. BankZ

I listed the 5 files. Which one is the one I need? Can I delete the others?

4. BankZ

Also, if I flash a rom will I lose all my text messages and app data?

5. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Well-Known Member

when you do a backup you just go into recovery (i go through bootstrap)and go to backup restore and press backup......when you view that backup on your sd card it should just say a date which will be the date you created the backup and yes you will lose your texts and app data unless you restore them through titanium.....this is only if the rom of choice calls for a wipe of data ......also i ususally manually restore the data on my apps one by one just to be safe ....some may call that overboard but thats just me and most of your apps will reinstall from the google cloud after flashing a rom ....right after you flash and reboot wait for about 5 to 10 min and the apps will auto install through google and the market...sometimes you have to open the market after reboot for this to initialize

6. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

From experience, might I recommend trying a couple themes, just to get your feet wet. They don't require you to lose data and apps and have to reinstall everything. Also with a launcher like LPP and a theme, you'll get much of the benefit of a theme w/o having to go to as much work.

7. BankZ

I am having problems with ROM Manager. I cannot get it to do a backup. I can do a backup from Bootstrap. When I go into Bootstrap it says its using 2.5.0.6. ROM Manger says 2.5.0.7. Is that the problem? If so how do I get them in sync? I have latest versions from Market.

8. colchiro

9. BankZ

ok, ill do that. Any tips on getting ROM manager working? Best way to test is to flash the stock?

10. colchiro

Did you try opening ROM Manager and "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"?

I see my CW Recovery is 2.5.0.6, but works correctly.

11. colchiro

You could also try uninstalling/reinstalling recovery.

12. BankZ

Did "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and it says "Successfully downloaded ClockworksMode recovery!" I also did an uninstall and re-install.

13. colchiro

Sorry, I just re-read all your posts and see you can backup from recovery, just not rom manager.

I just clicked on "manage" and saw all my backups and clicked on "backup" and it's backing it up right now so works for me. I always did this from CW Recovery, never from rom manager.

If you go into Superuser do you see a green dot next to Rom Manager? If it's red, just touch it to turn it green. Red means it doesn't have root permission.

RE: "I copied the backup files to my PC"... You can also copy your ClockworkMod\backup folder to your pc. I usually rename that after backing up so I know what it contains, but don't use spaces in the name. I use names like Stock_2.3.15 or Deodexed_2.3.15.

[​IMG]

14. BankZ

Yeah it's green and has su

15. colchiro

What exactly does it say or do when you try to run rom manager? You haven't clearly established what the problem is.

16. BankZ

When I try to do a backup from ROM manager it, reboots, it looks like its going to do somethings (I see a progress bar) then I get a <!> and it reboots again and loads the phone.

17. colchiro

Sounds like the same problem where your other post is: http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/221784-rom-mananger.html You might want to follow the directions there and try again.

Another option would be "Fix Permissions" from rom manager.

You don't need rom manager to backup/restore (you've already done that) or install themes. You can rename your current backups with root explorer, just don't add spaces to the name.

Sorry, I'm running out of suggestions.

18. BankZ

I'm gonna try to go back to stock and then re-root

19. BankZ

restock and re-root didn't help. If I download a ROM from ROM manager, can I install it from boot strap?

20. colchiro

I've installed two roms, Tranquility 3.0 and Fission, both thru CW Recovery. I've had rom manager installed and never used it until I made a test backup last night while helping you.

Personally I don't like roms and prefer to just deodex and apply themes. If I install a rom, b/c of Blur removal, something is missing that I need, like email or contacts. My X is already plenty fast so no benefit from a rom and don't like missing stuff I need or the weird bugs introduced by the rom.

My 2 cents.

OLDDAWG likes this.