Want to purchase

Last Updated:

1. discohadestwo

discohadestwo Member This Topic's Starter

I really want to buy this phone, but I have some questions.

I have a family plan & it's in my wife's name, but my name is also on there. Her phone is eligible for an upgrade, but mine isn't. How would that work out to where I get the phone? Would the data plan only apply to her number? Does she have to be there for the upgrade?

I want to go to Best Buy to see if they'll match WireFly's price. If not, maybe they'll match their own website? In the store, they list it at 199, but online it's 129. Any input on this.

Advertisement
  2. Donatron

Donatron Well-Known Member

You should be able to upgrade your phone by extending your wife's contract. People do it all the time, so you shouldn't have any issue doing so.

As for the pricing, it's unlikely that they'll match WireFly. If they do, let me know, and I'll try to retroactively get mine matched (purchased mine at Best Buy). Although, I'm surprised that it's listed at $199 at the store, I got mine for $129.

3. Cronis

Cronis Well-Known Member

it was listed for $130 in the best buy i got mine from... and yea assuming your on some sort of family plan they shouldnt have any problem using her upgrade to get your phone... I think they switch the IME number but thats it.

4. SteveJobCutLine4myLiver

SteveJobCutLine4myLiver Well-Known Member

at&t is a gsm phone. you can just purchase a phone on 1 upgradable line and then swap out the SIM card and you'll be set to go. have fun with the phone b/c it's fu#'n awsome! :D

5. discohadestwo

Thanks for the information, everyone. I'm heading up there now with the hopes of a $130 price tag. Hopefully, I'll have my phone today.

6. discohadestwo

I just went up to Best Buy. They said there'd be no problem using her upgrade as mine, just switching the sim card like was said. They did say that, at that point, I'd have to call AT&T & have them switch the data plan over to my number since it would be tied to her number.

Still not sure if she has to be there, or not. Or if I would need to have her phone. Or anything like that.

Bah! I've been wanting to get this since Sunday. It's taking forever.

7. screenamesuck

screenamesuck Well-Known Member

Best Buy Mobile matches anyone, so yes they will match Wirefly. I got mine for free. Just remember when you upgrade the other line, you need to have a data plan on your line for the phone to work, so in this case if you don't already have a smartphone on your line then you will need to switch the phones on the account instead of just switching the sim card. They can do it for you at the store

8. screenamesuck

Didn't read this post before i posted, but Best Buy should do that for you, we are suppose to make sure all the phones are working before you leave the store. It takes a whole 5 minutes at most.

9. Donatron

So can I go into Best Buy and get refunded the $129.99? Or do I have to return the phone, cancel the contract, wait a few days for my eligibility to return, and then purchase again?

10. Ambictus

Ambictus Well-Known Member

It's Best Buy Mobile which is a standalone mobile store not an actual Best Buy. Or at least I believe. They don't have them everywhere, like here in UT they don't have any :(

11. no driver

no driver Active Member

Just to clarify, Best Buy Mobile is the phone section of a regular BB store, right? Not a stand alone operation?

ETA: Looks like Best Buy Mobile is a stand alone store, and there are none nearby. So it goes.

12. Darkeligos

Darkeligos Well-Known Member

Woah woah woah, I couldn't just walk into Best Buy and tell them about Wirefly and then walk out with a free phone could I? It does require a new contract or line right?

13. discohadestwo

Nope.

14. discohadestwo

Just realized that Best Buy Mobile isn't the same as a normal Best Buy so, that's why they wouldn't price match. There are no Best Buy Mobiles in Michigan. What a bust. Still, 130 without a mail in rebate is awesome.

15. screenamesuck

Ok, here is the deal, Best Buy Mobile is both a stand alone store and a section inside most Best Buy stores. There are none in Michigan??? I'll have to look into that one day.

Donatron, if you got yours at Best Buy, they don't automatically price match other competitors unless you mention it. As long as it is less than 30 days you can take it back and price match. There is no canceling of contracts or anything. They will simply do a price adjustment in the register that takes 10 seconds. Just take your receipt to save time. They can always look that up as well.

16. screenamesuck

What do you mean by this, because Mobile price matches any store and online site (as long as its legit and not like an auction site), but if you venture off to any other section of the store, say computers, the rest of the store will only price match brick and morter stores within like a 50 mile radius.

17. snorge

snorge Well-Known Member

Unless it ended you should be able to order it for free right now at Dell. I am going to try in a bit.

18. Donatron

Went back to Best Buy today (they have BBYM inside), and they said they wouldn't price match. They only match local retailers.

19. screenamesuck

Well here in North Carolina every Best Buy matches online sites as well. Why would we want to lose a customer if we don't have to?? Maybe its up to the management of each Best Buy. Since we all do it the same way here I thought it was the same in most BB. Just tell them you were in a Charlotte area Best Buy and they said they match Amazon and Wirefly. They can call if they like to verify