• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Want to root, no idea where to start.

I have a g1 with 1.6 and I know I'd probably have to downgrade to 1.5 and then root... but I don't know where to start or what guide to follow. What's the best, most up to date guide?

You can use my guide in my signature, It is a process that has been around for a long time ... so if there is a newer, better ... you might be able to search and find ....

Upvote 0
If you had 1.5 then you could use the 1 click root, but you won't learn much doing that. I would reccomend going to www.forum.xda-developers.com scroll down to the Dream forums and click Dream Android Development, search for a thread that says How to: Root, Hack, Flash without a computer. It might be worded a little different but it is the one that says without computer/no computer. I used it and found it very informative and it explains everything in great detail. Once you get it rooted look around that site for some ROMs, I suggest Cyanogen 4.2. If you have a decent micro sd card then you can partition it and try a Hero rom, MLIGN has a really good one.

Upvote 0
The problem with directing new users to Google searches is, there is an overwhelming amount of information out there. I have been noodling around with computers since the late 1980's and am very comfortable at following good directions and digging in to try stuff even if it isn't in an OS I'm very familiar with, and even I found it overwhelming.

XDA and other sites' forum threads end up full of clutter and it's hard to get a good overview in them sometimes; the threads where the OP edits the first post and refines the instructions are great, but that's not how it goes sometimes.

That's why I recommended a specific guide.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones