• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wanted: a root for telus milestone running 2.1 update 1

I have googled the heck out of the topic, and cannot find any definite results. I don't know if a root for my Canadian milestone (running 2.1.1) will be able to run the same root as someone in UK's. I don't need to worry about it wiping my memory as the nice people at telus did that for me when I got a repair done without warning me.
Thanks all.

- Download G.O.T. OpenRecovery (google it)
- unzip it, put the OpenRecovery folder and update.zip on your SD card
- boot into Recovery mode - reboot phone, hold camera button and power button at the same time until you get a triangle
- hit camera button and 'volume up' at the same time, you will access a menu, use your d-pad to navigate to "apply update.zip"
- You will now be in G.O.T.'s OpenRecovery. There should be an option somewhere that says " - root" or "- root phone"

This will work. There's several other methods..one click roots on the market, there's the vulnerable recovery .sbf / milestoneroot.zip method..the list goes on, but I find the OpenRecovery method the quickest (as I usually already have OR loaded on my memory card if I switch phones or whatever) and one of the easier methods. It also doesn't wipe anything, the only one that does is the vulnerable recovery .sbf method, as it's a basically a fresh OS install.

If you have any issues, post here, but this worked on my Telus Milestone, as did all other methods I listed.. There's no difference between UK and Canadian Milestones, other than obvious carrier differences and possibly band differences? However, the [stock] systems layout and root methods are the same across all Milestones.

Upvote 0
. I don't need to worry about it wiping my memory as the nice people at telus did that for me when I got a repair done without warning me.
Thanks all.

As an authorized dealer we always give the battery, the back plate, and any memory card/sim card in the phone to the customer as they never come back. At least you learned a valuable lesson to never do that again right?:cool:

Upvote 0
@AJwrenn -

As far as I can tell the ability to install apps on the SD card as opposed to the internal phone memory requires Froyo 2.2 version of Android.

There are various links around explaining how to do this however there are a few glitches I haven't figured out namely:

1. You have to load a vulnerable recovery sbf file.
2. When the phone was upgraded to Android 2.1, Telus added some kind of checksum that prevents the phone from accessing the vulnerable recovery sbf - this means you can't access some of the menus you need to load the Froyo files (G.O.T Open Recovery or Cyanogen). There is some workaround but I haven't found a real clear explanation of this yet. It involves hitting some keys on the phone as the RDSLite program is flashing the phone. I am nervous hitting these keys at the wrong time might brick the phone but I just don't know.
3. Once you have Froyo on the phone you have to add something to make it work on the Canadian frequencies in order to access the 3G/HSPA+ frequency bands. I have seen some references to this but not a clear explanation of how this is achieved.

If you or anyone knows answers to the above it would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
1. If you are on a stock SBF you will need to apply the vulnerable recovery whenever you want to get to the openrecovery.

2. I highly doubt Telus is able to implement something to prevent you from accessing vulnerable recovery. If you read this somewhere I would like to read it aswell. On a side note you use the bootloader to flash an SBF, which would allow you to use android 2.2 or even 2.3. There are many Telus Milestone users already running 2.3.2.

3. It's pretty easy to change your frequency bands back to your countries frequency bands. I know for sure that this feature is in openrecovery and I believe it is in the G.O.T. openrecovery aswell.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones