• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wanted: A Simple Phone Locator

BSquared18

Feb 2, 2013
Hi,

I'm looking for a simple-to-use, basic, free phone-locator app. GPS locator and maybe also be able to activate siren or ringer from another phone.

I tried Cerberus, Avast!, and Where's My Droid. The first had connectivity issues, the second was much too complicated, and the third was very, very, very slow in showing the phone's location using their Commander.

Any suggestions? I'm using Android 4.0.4 and have wifi and tower connectivity to the Internet.

Thanks,
Bill

Thanks, Coronos. Yes, I took a look at it and downloaded it to my phone. As you say, it seems easy to use.

One question: I tested the phone-locator feature. I started the process about 10 in the morning, but it was about 6 in the evening before I received an email message that the phone had been located.

Is that kind of lag time normal for Lookout? For other phone-locator services?

Bill

Upvote 0
Concerning Airdroid, someone please let me know if I'm off target: I studied the description and didn't see anything about phone locator, remote siren, etc.; then, when I looked at other apps listed as similar to it, it seems that Airdroid is more in the category with apps like Dropbox than ones like Lookout and Avast.

Bill

Upvote 0
Thanks, but in subsequent tests Lookout found the phone within a couple of minutes. My wife and I now have it on both our phones, so if one goes missing, we can use the other to locate it and, if necessary, activate a siren.

As one review said, the free version offers some nice features, including checking for malware, etc.

Bill

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones