Wanting a car mount that fits the shell

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RyanB, Jan 29, 2010.

1. RyanB

RyanB Guest

I've seen several threads recently discussing car mounts, but most of the links that I've followed seem to have mounts that are designed with a naked Droid in mind. Can anyone point me to a mount that will function with a Droid housed in the shell?

Advertisement

2. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Male
    Stoughton MA
    I was at the Verizon store the other day and if you bought one of the Verizon snap on cases they have a car mount that works with it, I haven't seen it offered online though.

3. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    System Admin
    Florida
  4. oddestfellow

oddestfellow Member

Jan 22, 2010
  5. PowerTools

PowerTools Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Charlotte
    I have not used that mount, but have used a similar one. It worked okay, but not as well as I would have liked. I purchased the mount for an old PPC6800 and it fit the Droid as well. The downsides I saw (again, for a different, non-Droid sanctioned mount) were that the mount felt a little flimsy, especially while trying to swipe the passcode in. I also couldn't open the keyboard while in the mount (the only way to use Global Search correctly in landscape mode, imo). My mount wouldn't allow landscape mode. Lastly, I would frequently hit buttons inadvertently while inserting or retrieving the device into/from the mount.

In response to the non-Moto chargers, this is addressed in other threads. Summary:

• Some usb cables will not sync your phone, but should charge. Look for "sync and charge" vs. "charge" in the specs if you need both.
    • Charging from DC via a car charger is likely to cause your battery to have a shortened life. You have to decide if you want to have a full battery when you get out of the car or if you want to go longer before needing to replace your battery all-together. Replacement batteries are about $30 at the time of this posting.

6. RyanB

RyanB Guest

At the risk if hijacking the thread I started, would using an a/c converter (or adapter) to allow me to use the wall charger on my car do the same damage to my battery as a traditional car charger?