Wanting to android-dev

Last Updated:

1. DJYoshaBYD

DJYoshaBYD Active Member

hello.. I am new to Android, but not new to linux, or computers in general.. I am engineer and a super duper nerd, and i want to get into development.. specifically, I want to dev my own ROM..

I have been searching and cannot find anything to really get my brain started on learning how this is done..

can anyone point me to some reading to kinda get me in the right direction? :D

Advertisement
  2. karandpr

karandpr Well-Known Member

Some details about your phone will be helpful :)
  3. DJYoshaBYD

DJYoshaBYD Active Member

well, its a samsung galaxy indulge.. But I really just want to get into dev, in general..
  4. karandpr

karandpr Well-Known Member

Indulge - All Things Root - Android Forums

I dont think there is something like a general dev .Usually two or three phones are similar and the devs help each othe to co-port .

First develop a ROM for your phone .Then search a similar device .Get in touch with someone who has developed a ROM for that phone .Thats how expand ROMs according to me..
  5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I started by reading these:

Get Involved | Android Open Source

Links on left hand side. Then find source for an existing ROM so you can fork the vendor and device directories and start from there.

If there is a CM rom for your device, thats even easier as you can compile their source.