• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wanting to buy phone online but...

I waited till verizons ces coverage to only be completely disappointed from the lack of phones, pricing, and when to expect them. I figured the thunderbolt would be out soon or some word of when to expect it but nothing.

So after all of this I have decided to get the droid x but don't want to pay the 300 upfront to get a hundred back. So I looked online at amazon and found it for 129.99. I am part of a family plan where we already have unlimited data that I don't use on my env3 (I just wait till I find wi fi and use my iPod touch, as I am now.) but when I go to check out on amazon they make me add a data plan, which makes sense, but I don't wish to change the plan I have.

So my real question is do I choose the unlimited data plan on the site, which says it will bill me 29.99 per month, or just go to verizon and pay their price?

Sorry for the rant but I'm really confused and just really want to upgrade to a droid. Thanks for any and all help in advance.

the minimum data plan you can have with a smart phone with VZW is like 15 bucks and some change... there are currently three choices you have if you get a smart phone 15, 29, and 45...and you have to have one to activate the phone. So regardless where you buy it, you will have to get the DATA package as that is through Verizon... Check out wirefly they had some great deals on phones if your looking at upgrading or getting a new contract.

Upvote 0
i already have the unlimited data plan currently, but while trying to purchase the phone online they try to push a data plan onto me. i wish to keep my current plan without any changes and want to make sure that i won't be charged another 29.99 each month. is there any way to make sure they wont change my plan?

Upvote 0
You will be charged $29.99 total for an unlimited data plan on a smartphone. This would replace whatever data charges currently exist on that line.

Also, make sure if you buy through best buy or some other retailer that you plan to make NO changes to your account for a minimum of 6 months. You must keep the phone activated, the data plan, and the current calling plan that you are on for that time period. If you don't Best Buy or other retailer will send you a bill for an ETF with them for changing the terms and conditions of your contract.

Buying a phone through Verizon does not come with these same stipulations.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones