Wanting to change my SD card from 4 to 8Mb....Support

Last Updated:

1. Vicdude

Vicdude Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Having played around with various novelties over the past few months, I would like to change my SD card from the 4Gb card that came with the orange branded handset upto an 8Gb SD card from out of my old Nokia N85, also from Orange.
    I presume that I will need to reformat the 8Gb card but I wondered if I can use the Desire to do that?
    Also, if I back up the 4Gb card to my PC, remove it, insert the 8Gb card, will this have an adverse effect on the handset.
    Would I just be able to insert the unformatted 8Gb card into the handset and the Android system, miraculously sort itself out when I re install the backup from the PC...... so many questions ;) In the old symbian days, i'd just suck it and see but I'm not as confident of being able to repair the potential almighty cock up that could result :D
    I have visions of all my icons, account settings, wi-fi settings, email settings and anything else that requires a setting, going titz up :D

Thanks in advance :D

Advertisement
  2. JohnShepherd

JohnShepherd Well-Known Member

I just did that today, was super easy. I moved all apps over the the phone, and just replaced the MicroSD. The only thing I lost was the Spotify offline playlists and ringtones I've added...unless you wanna download all that again, just save those folders from your phone to your computer, and move 'em back once you replaced the MicroSD.

3. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

+1
    the card should autoformat... take out the 4gb one and put in the 8gb one, it should be ready for action, and no data lost (I have tried other sdcards without losing anything from the original). Any problems then you can format the 8GB card in the phone in settings. Assuming all is fine copy and paste the 4gb into the 8gb using pc.

4. Vicdude

Here goes..................... ;) Thanks guys :D

5. cheapshot

cheapshot Member

Sorry to hijank this thread vicdude, but I have put a new microSD card into my desire and it gets stuck on the htc splash screen, and goes in a loop displaying it over and over.

Any ideas on how to fix?

6. Vicdude

Went like a dream, well sort of :D I think there was too much Nokia crap on there so the Android just told me it was damaged and suggested I format it. Pressed ok, and BOSCH!! 8Gb installed, all settings still intact. Bring on 2.2 :D *hyper*

7. Vicdude

Will it turn on ok without the card?
    Will it turn on ok with the old card?

I reckon with these things that a process of elimination needs to take place. Make like a cross between Spock and Sherlock holmes :D

8. cheapshot

cheapshot Member

It will turn on okay with the old card and but won't with the new one or without any card.

Also the new 8gb micro sd card can be read by PC.

9. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Well-Known Member

LOL
    Why are Nokia and Crap always be in the same sentence :)

10. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Are you running 2.2? Do you have anything app wise installed on the SD card? If so, move it back first. If it doesn't boot with an SD card, it requires something on it to boot properly, or something that needs to run, can't

11. cheapshot

cheapshot Member

Running rooted 2.1

All I have app wise that COULD be it include:

Lookout
    Spotify

Could I copy the exact file structure of the 4gb over to the 8gb and try that?

12. SUroot

I'd recommend that anyway, but the issue is why won't it boot without any SD card?

13. cheapshot

cheapshot Member

I thought you might know the answer to that hah.. I will try to move the file structure over tonight and post results. Many thanks for you help.

14. SUroot

No worries. And good luck.