wanting to overclock my spectrumTips

1. TwoTabs

TwoTabs Active Member

whats the best app to use for doing so?

Advertisement
    :
  2. ortrigger

ortrigger Well-Known Member Contributor

You have to have a custom kernel in order to overclock. We don't have that yet for ics.
  3. Lykarsis

Lykarsis Well-Known Member Contributor

Well first of all, do you have a kernel that supports OC? if so, No Frills CPU Control is my favorite.
  4. ortrigger

I prefer setcpu because it does profiles better than any other app I've found. If you're on gb still then go for it. Otherwise, we're going to have to wait for custom ics kernels.
  5. TwoTabs

TwoTabs Active Member

oh im on ics. i will wait then
    thanks for the fast replys guys :)
  6. bones420la

bones420la Well-Known Member

i use setcpu to underclock when my screen is off and when im in a call to save battery.... i think its setcpu 3.1 that i use..

hopefully the devs will have the bootloader issue fixed soon and someone can get us overclocked... id love to see 2ghz
  7. Lightswarm

Lightswarm Well-Known Member

Lol 2Ghz would so nuke the phone. It can barely runat 1.8 GHz so imagine instability with a cast r clock speed. And if it could work, the battery life would be really bad, really really bad.
  8. PrinceCorwin

PrinceCorwin Well-Known Member

I don't have unlocked bootloader and I'm currently using SetCPU to overclock and run profiles.
  9. ortrigger

We don't have a kernel that supports overclock yet. I'm sure the devs are working on it though.
  10. PrinceCorwin

So are you saying I shouldn't be using SetCPU? It seems to be working fine.
  11. ortrigger

No, I'm saying that we can't actually overclock our phones yet. I use SetCPU also for cpu control and profiles.
  12. PrinceCorwin

Noob question: So amping up the CPU speed with SetCPU is not the same as overclocking?
  13. Neph81

Neph81 Well-Known Member

Correct. If you're running at 1.5Ghz, then you are at the max the stock kernel allows. By default, VZW set the V6 kernel down at 1.2Ghz, but going back up to 1.5 would not be considered over clocked. On V6, people had written custom kernels that did 1.8Ghz+, with varying degrees of success.
    PrinceCorwin likes this.
  14. bones420la

bones420la Well-Known Member

ive seen a epic4g(same internals as our beloved fascinate) running stable at 2ghz....

all we would need is to tweak the voltages for each cpu step.. im pretty sure some of the stronger spectrums could run it. if we got it with cm9 or cm10.. im sure battery life wouldnt be any worse than stock

on v6 people were getting better battery life running at 1.8 than 1.5
  15. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

I didn't see any better performance with the phone overclocked. Depending on the rom, I found underclocking performed better.