wanting to upgrade to phone using pc internet card line.General

Last Updated:

1. mb01

mb01 Banned This Topic's Starter

So my sister is trying to upgrade her phone on verizon from a dumbphone to a smartphone. Shes an addon to a family plan and her upgrade isn't due for a while. The family plan has a pc wireless card line on it and is due for a NE2. A verizon rep said that she could use that upgrade to get her phone without altering the line (keeping the wireless card intact). I was led to believe that upgrading those lines to a phone would change it to a phone line, cancelling the wireless card plan. Is there a verizon rep on here or someone who has done this that can clear this up for me?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. bmwrin1990

bmwrin1990 Member

Im a previous representative...what you can do is buy the phone on the pc card line and use it for a different line. When you get the phone, call customer service and have them activate it on the line you wanna use it on, simple as that. Nothing will change on the pc card line, it will just no longer be eligible for upgrade. Its called an alternative upgrade.

3. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

there's a little more to it than that... so please do like so many people don't -- read the info included with the phone. You'll see a paper that tells you how to activate the new phone by calling a certain number. When you call to accept the terms and conditions, you'll actually be prompted to activate the phone now or later. choose later. THEN you can activate it to the line you want - no call to customer service needed.

HOWEVER... to ensure that you won't have to make any changes to the modem line, it's best to go in to a store or call in and order it. The rep can do that alternate upgrade without affecting the modem plan at all. If you do it online to get the best price (usually just instant rebate), then you'll have to opt to change to phone plan and then have to change back to modem plan after. Can you say hassle? Cost over convenience... deal with the mail in rebate, and call or go to store.

4. mb01

mb01 Banned This Topic's Starter

Perfect. Well thats goo to know. Thanks for the info guys.

5. jpallen77

jpallen77 Well-Known Member

order it online for the instant rebate then when it arrives take it to store to activate. that will ensure the pc card wont be affected.

6. Clittzen

Clittzen Well-Known Member

Do alternative upgrade with what was listed bmwrln.

BUT you can activate it yourself by going on your myverizon account and just entering your ESN number in activation area. That's what I typically do.