• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WAP Browser for Android?

XBrav

Jan 24, 2010
Calgary
www.xbrav.com
Hey everyone!

Remember WAP? I want to use it on my Android phone!

Nobody has been very clear on the net, so I am assuming there is no application designed natively for WAP.

However, my question is whether or not there's a way to use a Java emulator to run any of the old java-based browsers (Opera or some other) to browse?

I've got the mobile browsing for free as part of a value pack of mine, and the WAP sites out there will serve as a nice bonus if I can see them.

Thank you for that. I did try opera, had issues.

HOWEVER.

I had a major breakthrough tonight.

I am using Fido, but I see no reason why this wouldn't work with Rogers.

I went and set up a new APN for Fido as follows:

Name: Fido
APN: wap.fido.ca
Proxy: 205.151.011.011
Port: 8080
Username: fido
Password: fido
Server: 205.151.011.011
APN type: default

Well, the default Android Browser is just... well... awful. Froze up a lot. Replaced with dolphin, and now it rocks.

Simply put, it seems that you can access a list of approved mobile sites. What is interesting is it includes ones such as Google Maps (yes, I can actually see the maps in the browser, but the Android App doesn't work on this APN), Calgary Transit (BIG one for me), Google News, Gizmodo, Twitter, Facebook, and all the major sites. I didn't try Youtube, because that is something that should truly be data usage (I'm running on EDGE, so that amount of data would be horrendous, and really destroy the point of the on-device mobile browsing).

However, everything is working amazing so far. Interestingly enough, I am not being redirected to the main sites, and my client profile is Android. So for those of you who don't need a huge data plan because you do small activities such as this, I hope I have helped you out.

Reactions: damnmad
Upvote 0
Well, so far so good for WAP on Android. Though Fido seems to be dying...
x2_c0ccba

Yes, that is 3 picobytes (which of course doesn't exist)

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I have a WAP related question similar to the one above.
I just bought a smart phone but the company which I work for (and who owns my sim card) blocked access to data traffic.

However! Before the smart phone I had a very simple nokia which did allow me to surf through it's built in browser. I recon this connection was made through WAP which is not blocked. Now, on my android phone I would like to be able to do the same though I don't see how. I downloaded opera and set the option "mobile view" to ON but still it says network connection error.

Anyone having any ideas? How did my nokia succeed to connect to the net whilst my android HTC wildfire can't? MMS doesn't work either by the way.

Also, I set up the APN's correctly already.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones