Warning about some Holster Cases

Last Updated:

1. lawilson2

lawilson2 Member This Topic's Starter

So, I have an HTC holster that I used for the last year. The Droid JUST fits into it. However, I kept having the Droid come on in my holster and it was driving me batty how it would unlock on it's own. Then it hit me.

The holster clips shut MAGNETICALLY. The Droid thought it was in a multimedia dock so it stayed on while on my side. THAT's why my battery was draining so fast!

So, be sure to get a velcro or other type of holster, nothing with magnets. :)

Advertisement
  2. kkwan77

kkwan77 Well-Known Member

3. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

I just went back to my Verizon store, a real store, not an autorized reseller, and they didn't know about the technical bulletin, or that they should NOT be selling cases with magnetic closures on them on the Motorola Droid(the Eris is probably fine)...

The manager of the store actually came over and asked me to demonstrate, so I slid the back of my droid around the magnet on my case, and sure enough, was able to put it in both the car dock mode, and the multi-media dock mode, just by sliding it around the magnet on the case closure.

He seemed very surprised by this, but had no problem replacing my magnetic closure case with a velcro closure case.

I liked the magnetic closer case a little better, but, oh well... The velcro one seems nice enough too...

4. blazingwolf

blazingwolf Well-Known Member

Just put it in with the screen towards the magnet. Problem resolved. :)

5. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

Not sure if that's a true statement?? The magnets might still be strong enough to effect it.

6. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

My BlackBerry case triggers it no matter which way you turn it.

7. -Myk-

-Myk- Banned

It is true, I have an HTC case I am using

8. blazingwolf

It's true. I have two different cases with magnets. Neither turn the phone on with the screen facing the magnet.

One case is the PDA pouch from Verizon and the other is a Blackberry case I picked up from ATT (which fits the Droid perfectly).

9. blazingwolf

That's a strong magnet.

10. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

It's the case from my Storm , my favorite of all time case. My Curve cases dont trigger it when the screen is turned out but I refuse the face it that way , I run into way too many tables in the shop for that :D

11. lawilson2

lawilson2 Member This Topic's Starter

That kind of defeats the purpose of having a case to protect your phone. If my screen is exposed and I knock against something, it's done for. Not sure that's worth it for me being cheap and not getting a proper case. :)

12. digitard

digitard Well-Known Member

Most likely due to the placement. Most BB cases have that magnet in them that triggers the device to go into "pouch" mode where it wont turn on the screen/etc until you take it out of the case.

So depending on where its placed for the Storm its very possible it wont matter which direction you place it in.

13. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Don't be too surprised, lots of manufacturers are realizing how great a strong neodymium magnet can be. They're so much smaller than regular magnets of the same strength and they're not all that expensive at that size either, so for them they basically get smaller form at the same price, which is a win-win situation. :)

14. -Myk-

-Myk- Banned

My case has a nice felt backing between the phone and the magnet

15. bigfire

bigfire Member

I was temporary using the Blackberry 8830 holster (it seemed to fit). However, the magnet on the holster seemed to turn on Droid by itself, so that's not a good substitute.

16. blazingwolf

You have an open face case that has a magnet in it or do you just hit things that hard?

17. famac!

famac! Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic of the Velcro case you got? Also, how much was it?