WARNING! Do NOT reapply the update after updating!

1. unplugged1

unplugged1 Well-Known Member

After you update to 1.47.651.1, some may be tempted to check for the update again. Your Evo will state:

"There is an update available, do you want to update?"

Do NOT update again.

There have been several reports (RoboMonkey, Erickson00, ecb, kiz88, Nerve) that re-applying the update will brick your phone. Simply check your update and confirm that it is as stated above.

Do NOT re-update!

Advertisement
    :
  2. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

Mine didnt, although it did that with the original launch day update. It took like 3 times before it finally registered that it was updated.
  3. Novoken

Novoken Well-Known Member

Wow that sucks
  4. What is it we are updating? My phone says No Updates available?
  5. shandroid

shandroid Well-Known Member

updating now for the 1st time, thanks for the warning, that's a terrible issue!
  6. teky

teky Well-Known Member

I think something went wrong during your update. When mine finished, it clearly said I had successfully updated to the new version. I rechecked to see if the update is available and it said it was not.
  7. unplugged1

This update is rolling out today. It might be unavailable at times due to high demand.

A few pointers:

1. This update takes up to 45 minutes to download over 3G. Use Wi-Fi (or 4G) for a much faster dowload.

2. Do NOT play with your phone during the update and download. Be patient.

3. Do not check for updates after updating, and obviously, do not re-update your phone. Check the version number in your phone info if you want to confirm the update number.
    Fredrickhstn likes this.
  8. dahray02

dahray02 Member

if we are rooted we shouldnt update right? or do i have that wrong
  9. unplugged1

Yes, it will clearly state your update was successful. However, if you check for updates after you have successfully updated, your Evo will tell you that you have an update available. You must IGNORE this, because if you re-update, your phone will brick.
    Fredrickhstn likes this.
  10. unplugged1

You are correct. If you are rooted, you must wait until a rooted version is released. If you are rooted and you update, you may risk bricking your phone.
  11. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Well, it's good advice if you get that message. It's just not happening to everybody for some reason.
  12. unplugged1

Interesting. I checked for updates after successfully updating my phone, and it stated that updates were available. I discarded the update rather than re-updating. According to the three members I listed above, reapplying the update resulted in a bricked phone for them.

Hopefully, most people will not try to check for updates again. And if they do, hopefully they won't reapply the update. :(
  13. some.devil

some.devil Well-Known Member

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
  14. kiz88

kiz88 Well-Known Member

This is confirmed I bricked mine after it asked to upgrade a second time.

Got a brand new one just now from the Sprint store in NYC.
  15. unplugged1

Today's update is a software update, not a firmware update.

After the update, your software version should read: 1.47.651.1
  16. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

I didn't even have to check, mine started doing the second update on it's own. I cancelled it mid-download after reading the other posts. Watch the phone carefully for a few minutes after the first update so it won't do it automatically.

This is going to result in an epic amount of bricked phones coming back today/tomorrow/ect. I can't believe they don't pull the update from the servers and fix the issue right this second! They are undoubtedly getting calls by now...
    unplugged1 likes this.
  17. C_Dub

C_Dub Well-Known Member

I have seen on engadget comments that several people took out battery during update and phone bricked because they thought their phone was acting up. Mine went through several reboots and a long "4G" screen before it finally went through.

And now there's this "update after update" which must be a glitch and people are "re-updating" causing another brick.

Crazy.
  18. some.devil

some.devil Well-Known Member

ahh thanks for clarifying!
  19. Nerve

Nerve Well-Known Member

Mine is bricked as well...
  20. teky

teky Well-Known Member

This is a major screwup in the upgrade process then. The upgrade software should detect that you have already installed the update, at 2 levels. First when it scans and second when it tries to install the upgrade. So, the upgrade software from HTC has 2 points of failure. Unreal.
    stainlessray likes this.
  21. kiz88

kiz88 Well-Known Member

Having bricked mine already but got in replaced it 10 minutes ago by the Sprint store on 43nd and 6th avenue in NYC I must say, HTC you officially sunk the FAIL BOAT!!
  22. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

This is not good from htc.are they lacking programmers?
  23. kiz88

kiz88 Well-Known Member

There programmers are lacking common sense. :D
  24. Nerve

Nerve Well-Known Member

I am guessing when I get a replacement phone I am going to lose all my contacts. Am I right? It isnt saved on the SD card is it?
  25. kiz88

kiz88 Well-Known Member

Best way to save contacts is sync them with your google account. I just got my new Evo due to the bricking HTC just did to me 20 minutes ago and just synched with google and all my contacts are back on my phone.