• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WARNING! Do NOT reapply the update after updating!

I am guessing when I get a replacement phone I am going to lose all my contacts. Am I right? It isnt saved on the SD card is it?

If you have your contacts linked to Gmail, they are duplicated in Gmail and will re-sync when you sign on to Gmail with your new phone.

If you do not have your Gmail account synced with your contacts; oops. :(

Upvote 0
To be fair, this is the NOT first time this happens.

When I bought EVO on launch date, there was an upgrade for SD card, I downloaded and everything went good.

I checked again for updates and it found it again. Now it may have been a different one, but I did it and it did not brick phone, of course.

Upvote 0
After the update, I'm getting a "Problem loading gadget" on 5 of all of my icons on the 7 screens -- 2 of them are original Widgets: Voice Mail and the HTC 5-button Power for Bluetooth, WiFi, etc. While I was on the phone with Support, I received a message that HTC Sense was not responding, had to Force Close. I was able to remove and re-add Voice Mail back to the Home screen. When I went to re-add the power widget, the phone seemed to be updating again, then I got a message saying it was complete. I was able to add the Power widget again.

No major issues, but not a smooth system update.

Upvote 0
To be fair, this is the first time this happens.

When I bought EVO on launch date, there was an upgrade for SD card, I downloaded and everything went good.

I checked again for updates and it found it again. Now it may have been a different one, but I did it and it did not brick phone, of course.

Yes, but I can pretty much guarantee that it will be the LAST time it happens also. After HTC replaces hundreds, if not thousands, of Evos, the guy who allowed this major screw-up will be out of a job.

Upvote 0
This is confirmed I bricked mine after it asked to upgrade a second time.

Got a brand new one just now from the Sprint store in NYC.

Your absolutely correct. Thats exactly what happened to my first phone I got on launch day. I guess they updated it in store and it was telling me i had an update. (not knowing that she updated). And then couldnt even turn on my phone. No lights no nothing. Luckily the had an extra one. And it was their last.

Some are reporting that it didnt happen to them, but too risky knowing how few evo's are out their. Just check and see if the version matches.

Upvote 0
I went thru two updates and my phone is working perfectly.

The first time, I got a downloading symbol like what we normally see when we download an app. It finished in a couple of minutes, if that.

It then said I had an update available for download (seemed like the same one). I accepted it, it warned me to do nothing with the phone until it was done.

This time, my screen went black except for a green sync symbol and a timeline/loading symbol. It went thru several half-boots with the screen going black multiple times.

It finally rebooted completely and I got a "update successfully applied" or something like that.

I wonder if people are bricking their phones because they're not waiting for the full update and reboot to take place.

EDIT: Oh, and after my second update, I was not offered the update again. I suspect the first update is possibly the HTC update and the second the Sprint Firmware.

Upvote 0

The first time, I got a downloading symbol like what we normally see when we download an app. It finished in a couple of minutes, if that.

It then said I had an update available for download (seemed like the same one). I accepted it, it warned me to do nothing with the phone until it was done.

This time, my screen went black except for a green sync symbol and a timeline/loading symbol. It went thru several half-boots with the screen going black multiple times.

It finally rebooted completely and I got a "update successfully applied" or something like that.

I wonder if people are bricking their phones because they're not waiting for the full update and reboot to take place.

EDIT: Oh, and after my second update, I was not offered the update again. I suspect the first update is possibly the HTC update and the second the Sprint Firmware.

There are far too many instances of people bricking phones on the second update for anyone to even suggest, as you do, that it is fine to update their Evo a second time.

The FACT is that there are at least ten of our members who have BRICKED their Evo on the second update. DO NOT DO A SECOND UPDATE!!!

There is NO firmware update. And if there was, it is NOT a software update.

Again: If you do a second update you will BRICK your phone.

Upvote 0
There are far too many instances of people bricking phones on the second update for anyone to even suggest, as you do, that it is fine to update their Evo a second time.

The FACT is that there are at least ten of our members who have BRICKED their Evo on the second update. DO NOT DO A SECOND UPDATE!!!

The FACT is... that I DID do a second update, let the phone run its cycle, and had no problems (other than some of my apps and widgets needing to be removed and replaced on my home screens). After I did the second update, I no longer had an offer to load an update. I was told that no updates were available.

Now, I described in my initial post what my phone screen was displaying during both updates. Did yours do the same or something different?

I guess I should post for the record (or at least Bettermost) that I have a version 003 phone.

Upvote 0
The FACT is... that I DID do a second update, let the phone run its cycle, and had no problems (other than some of my apps and widgets needing to be removed and replaced on my home screens). After I did the second update, I no longer had an offer to load an update. I was told that no updates were available.

Think about this. You happened to get lucky and didn't brick your phone. You are aware that there have been many reports of phones bricking as a result of attempting a second update. What exactly are you suggesting? That people take the risk of bricking their Evo and update again because YOU got lucky once?

I cannot figure out why you want people to try a second update. :thinking:

Upvote 0
My unrooted Evo also died after the second update. So far, no luck in reviving it.

what did your screen look like/what did your phone do during the first and second updates?

Mine did the following:

At what point did your phone brick up? How long did you wait before messing around (i.e. touch the controls/power button) on the phone?

Upvote 0
Think about this. You happened to get lucky and didn't brick your phone. You are aware that there have been many reports of phones bricking as a result of attempting a second update. What exactly are you suggesting? That people take the risk of bricking their Evo and update again because YOU got lucky once?

I cannot figure out why you want people to try a second update. :thinking:

I am not advocating people try a second update. Don't put words in my mouth. I was clearly stating that I did do a second update and suffered no problems other than having to replace some app/widgets on my homescreens.

I posted my comment, describing what my phone displayed during both updates so we might find out why my phone succeeded and yours failed.

Oh, and as to why people might try a second update, why did you try it? Answer, we didn't hear the full information about the update. I updated my phone before seeing your posts.

I'm still curious as to whether you let the phone complete it's cycle of half-reboots before you touched the phone/controls. Perhaps by messing with it too soon, you might have caused the brick-up?

Upvote 0
what did your screen look like/what did your phone do during the first and second updates?

Mine did the following:

At what point did your phone brick up? How long did you wait before messing around (i.e. touch the controls/power button) on the phone?
After the second update, it went through a couple of reboots/update screens, and then it finally turned black and stayed black for a good 45 minutes or so.

Wouldn't respond to anything, and the charging LED wouldn't light up. I finally pulled the battery after waiting a while.

Upvote 0

That's not two updates. Your first description was the download. Second was the install...

Upvote 0
After the second update, it went through a couple of reboots/update screens, and then it finally turned black and stayed black for a good 45 minutes or so.

Wouldn't respond to anything, and the charging LED wouldn't light up. I finally pulled the battery after waiting a while.

Sounds similar to mine, except mine didn't stay blacked out for anywhere near 45 minutes.

Hmm... What version do you have? Any screen separation issues? Any previous issues at all?

Upvote 0
I am not advocating people try a second update. Don't put words in my mouth. I was clearly stating that I did do a second update and suffered no problems other than having to replace some app/widgets on my homescreens.

I posted my comment, describing what my phone displayed during both updates so we might find out why my phone succeeded and yours failed.

Oh, and as to why people might try a second update, why did you try it? Answer, we didn't hear the full information about the update. I updated my phone before seeing your posts.

I'm still curious as to whether you let the phone complete it's cycle of half-reboots before you touched the phone/controls. Perhaps by messing with it too soon, you might have caused the brick-up?

Fair enough. I too would like to hear if anyone did anything to their Evo during the second update.

My phone is not bricked. After seeing two instances of bricking in the upgrade thread, I put out this warning about the possibility of bricking. Since then, we have discovered major problems with the bricking of phones and there does not seem to be any particular action other than attempting a second update. Certainly, if anyone did anything to their Evo during the second update, it would be good to know.

Upvote 0
i updated mine.

took a lil while so i went back to bed. Came back twenty minutes later and it was done.

I am unrevoked rooted.

My widgets werent working correctly i replaced them and now everyhting is fine.

i think alot of people are just not patient and started to mess with thigns while its on one of the prolonged installed screens or even the 4g screen. Mine was on each screen for quite a while before it finally booted back in to the lock screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones