• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warning! Do not use paper tissues!

b_d

Sep 2, 2010
I'm very happy with my new smartphone, the Galaxy S from Samsung :D.
I don't use any protection for the screen, so i wipe out the "fingerprints" with something to make it nice and shiny! However i did use, several times, paper tissues. Big mistake. If i hold down the phone in bright light, i see tiny scratches on the surface :eek:.

So only use cloth and nothing less if you don't use protection, but NEVER use paper tissues!

Mmm, this last sentence sounds a little bit odd... Well, just to warn you people, at least some of you ;)

I don't understand why people just don't spend a few bucks and buy a cheap screen protector.

All this marketing of "Guerilla glass" etc is all talk unless someone is able to prove that it is hard as diamond.

PACKING TAPE......

I used packing tape (trimmed with a straight razor along the top and bottom to make a straight edge)

I used it because I needed something, but have found it's the best stuff. No smudges, eventually scratches up, but pulls off cleanly to be replaced easily enough. A little tricky to make sure you get it on without bubbles, but when you get it down, it's simple.

I did get some cheap screen protectors, but smudges ran me back to packing tape.

Sounds ghetto as heck, but I have 0 scratches on the D1 I just packed up and sent back with warranty issues, and I have packing tape on the D2 I just got..... first thing I did after activating it.

Upvote 0
PACKING TAPE......

I used packing tape (trimmed with a straight razor along the top and bottom to make a straight edge)

I used it because I needed something, but have found it's the best stuff. No smudges, eventually scratches up, but pulls off cleanly to be replaced easily enough. A little tricky to make sure you get it on without bubbles, but when you get it down, it's simple.

I did get some cheap screen protectors, but smudges ran me back to packing tape.

Sounds ghetto as heck, but I have 0 scratches on the D1 I just packed up and sent back with warranty issues, and I have packing tape on the D2 I just got..... first thing I did after activating it.
LOL first time I've heard of that?

How is the messy adhesive residue that's left after you peel it off?

I use Phantom Skinz and others like it because they don't use adhesive, and they don't scratch up over time. A one time application can last a year or two or more.

Upvote 0
LOL first time I've heard of that?

How is the messy adhesive residue that's left after you peel it off?

I use Phantom Skinz and others like it because they don't use adhesive, and they don't scratch up over time. A one time application can last a year or two or more.

absolutely NOTHING as far as residue. It comes off VERY easily. I usually replace it ever 2-3 weeks.

I have about 5 different protectors, and all smudge... very disappointed. Plus the glare.....

Packing tape has absolutely no glare....

Trust me, I know it sounds bad.... it really works. to be truthful, I discovered it with an old Sanza Fuse.... I needed protection to prevent the scratch. It wasn't a touch screen, but I still didn't want to scratch it. That's why I did it on the Droid. Even though I trusted it, I still wanted the real screen protector. But I liked this way the best.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why people just don't spend a few bucks and buy a cheap screen protector.

All this marketing of "Guerilla glass" etc is all talk unless someone is able to prove that it is hard as diamond.

Only the Motorola Droid has Guerilla glass, others like the samsung are plain old plastic.

Anything paper is fiberous, paper towels, tp, tissues, etc. You sholdn't use paper to wipe anything you don't want scratched, phones, laptop/lcd displays, glasses, your eyes, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones