Warning: googlemail.com -> gmail.comSupport

1. HonestGuvnor

HonestGuvnor Active Member

As a newbie this has wasted a lot of my time. If you change the name of your account at google from googlemail.com to gmail.com various google-related programs on the phone will stop working such as sync for contacts, android market, google talk and no doubt a few others. If you have had the phone for a while simply reverting to googlemail should make everything work again. Unfortunately, if you made the change when the phone was new (as I did) some programs may have one name and some the other depending on when you starting using them.

I found no way to get at the stored gmail/googlemail.com settings for the problematic programs (anyone?) but deleting the cached data and setting up again worked for some of them. I was beaten by the Market program which I could not shift even by resetting the phone to factory settings (there are lots of complaints about this at google).

Advertisement
  2. jporch316

jporch316 Well-Known Member

yeah this caught me out

I had my phone about a month ago and set itup with my googlemail address - the same night I noticed i could change to gmail.

I spent the next few hours trying to figure out why i couldnt download anything from the market place - it just said starting download on all.

The only cure was a factory reset and resetup my account as gmail