warning sirens in the neighborhood

Last Updated:

1. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

totally not about phones...maybe.. :p

i just heard one of the sirens go off. it is nice out .. little chilly but the sun is shining. just checked weather report and nothing was noted. So, i am guessing it was just a test.

so.. i was wondering..
    is there a website or app that will help me understand what the siren is for when it goes off? I dont have a weather radio.

what do you guys use to quickly understand why the siren is going off????

Advertisement
  2. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

In my area, they test the sirens the first Wednesday of every month at 1:00pm. You know it's a test because it's 2 separate soundings of about 10-15 seconds. An actual warning would be 1 sustained blast.

dan330 likes this.
  3. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

that's not the sun...

4. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

We don't have sirens around here in California, but if it was a real emergency, you could just turn on the TV or radio. I think everybody has the emergency alert system in that case. Or you could call the city, or even the local police (just not 911) and ask. I'm sure they could tell you.

dan330 likes this.
  5. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I have no idea, I've never lived anywhere that had sirens in the neighborhood, aside from car alarms of course. And yeah, if you think there might be something, turn on your TV, the Emergency Broadcast System is there for a reason.

dan330 likes this.
  6. dan330

7. CureMS

CureMS Well-Known Member

Now's the time to call and ask these questions. Don't wait until it sounds again, when all emergency personnel are otherwise occupied and phone lines are jammed with people who weren't prepared.

8. dan330

i personally dont call 911 till i have a real emergency. some one has to be in danger for me to call 911.

9. CureMS

CureMS Well-Known Member

I think that's why we've suggested calling the local police but not 911.

10. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Weatherbug app! It will give you a notification of any severe weather. Usually even more often than the sirens go off. It won't however tell you if they're just going off for a test. Just use your judgment. Sirens+Sunny Day=Nothing major!

Then of course if they're going off to warm you of some kinda bombing raid from North Korea, well it won't notify you of that either!

11. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

Warning Sirens and Systems ould of just used Google and find out the answer to your question. They use to teach this in school.

12. Epicurean

Epicurean Well-Known Member

Scanner Radio (on the market) "Allows you to listen to live audio from over 2,300 police and fire scanners and weather radios from around the world (with more being added daily)."
    [​IMG]

dan330 likes this.