[Warning] Sprint Official 2.1 RUU

Last Updated:

1. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just a heads up. It looks like even though 2.1 was rooted for the Hero, Sprint has now made a patch. Not only is there an OTA update that breaks the root, but apparently Sprint is pulling a sneaky one; They went and updated the RUU on the download page, but did not change the name of it. The old RUU for 2.1 was version 2.27.651.5. When downloaded the new RUU from Sprint is 2.27.651.6, which root is patched.

Advertisement
    nevergonnauseth likes this.
  2. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

i am rooted with fresh 2.1.2 already. how do i disable updates? dont want to wake up one morning and find out my phone has been updated.

3. ccapasso

You came from 1.5 right? I think you should be ok. If for whatever reason you got prompted for a System Update, just don't do it :).

4. NotSure

NotSure Member

That is sneaky, I downloaded the .5 version earlier today, when I looked back now I saw the file is .6

5. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

ya i came from 1.5. where would one find the original official 2.1 .5 update from now that sprint has put .6 up on their website?

6. ccapasso

There is a link I found over on xda, don't have it handy at this very second. You shouldn't need it anyways as you are already rooted :)

7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Stickied

FWIW, the OTA update is rumored to patch serious security risks with 2.1. It appears as though closing root was a result.

8. simkin101

simkin101 Member

I've got the .5 loaded on my Hero. I just went into SETTINGS-->About-->System updates-->HTC Update and noticed that there is a setting to turn off auto-updates. It seems that this will make the OTA (over the air) update stop.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up!

krozetp likes this.
  9. thefley

thefley Well-Known Member

thanks for the post, I was planing on rooting this week and I saw the update and checked this site first, I am glad I did and I turned off the auto update. and I still have the .5 2.1

now where to start rooting?????????

10. ccapasso

thefley likes this.
  11. thefley

thefley Well-Known Member

you all are the best!!! thx

12. shamrock11

shamrock11 Active Member

I rooted, but my phone messed up in the process so I figured out how to unroot with the new OTA update. Now, I'm having the same problems before I rooted, LAG! The reason I unrooted is because after flashing Fresh 2.1.2, my phone still lagged and the startup took 10x longer. I HATED THE DANCING ROBOT AND COULD NOT FLASH ANOTHER BOOT IMAGE. My question is, is there a way to go back to the old RUU and root again? Also, is there a way to flash the Nexus One boot logo/image after I root? If so, please tell me how to do it. Thank you.

13. msierra519

msierra519 Well-Known Member

what version are you currently running? if you updated to the new sprint release with the root patch then you cant root.

14. coolwhiz

coolwhiz New Member

I just got a new Sprint phone, its set of auto-update and as I see now, it runs 2.27.651.6

Does this mean that I can never root my phone and I will be stuck with 2.1 Android? One reason I want to root is to install Froyo. I am new to Android but I am a java dev. with some knowledge of the SDK.

Any help appreciated.

15. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

You should be able to root, if you run the ruu the original Sprint 2.1 release, that should be available if you search this forum or xda...

Here--> post #127 http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc...tc-hero-2-1-update-now-5-19-sprint-com-3.html

coolwhiz likes this.
  16. Cstevens

Cstevens Member

Well bummer Deal I just checked my software version and its the 2.27.651.6

So you can flash backwards to a older/different version of 2.1? Is that what im understanding your saying?

Really want to root my phone. Or will someone most likely get around this patch?

17. ccapasso

This has been fixed now, sort of. You can run the old 2.1 RUU (the .5 version) and then you can root your phone. Read the 2.1 thread for more info/links.