Warning to UD users.

Last Updated:

1. Pfilly

Pfilly Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Don't use bgill55 themes for your UD ROM, they're bricking your phones. More drama.

ATTN mods: meant to post this in "All Things Root" subforum.

Advertisement
  2. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Can't they just boot into recovery and restore from a backup?

3. Pfilly

I dunno, I'm just catching wind of this.

4. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

There may be an isolated incident but I find it strange that I see nothing posted on the BlackDroidMod forum about it.
    So where are you "catching wind" of this?

5. stewart1champ

stewart1champ Well-Known Member

6. jevfr

jevfr Active Member

It seems it just puts them into a boot loop. That's NOT bricking, that's just a part of flashing roms. Happens all the time, battery pull, run back up, done.

7. stewart1champ

But to do it intentionally is a dick move.

8. jevfr

jevfr Active Member

9. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

Trying to break peoples phones is just as bad if not worse then taking other peoples work. If you got a problem with UD dont make the people pay for it. What a douche.

10. Pfilly

11. triplecrown

triplecrown Well-Known Member

That redmanx is sure talkin a lot of sh*t.

12. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Haha, that's sad.

13. Psychokitty

This is pathetic.

14. stewart1champ

15. jevfr

jevfr Active Member

I can understand Brian getting upset that permission wasn't given. I do not condone putting out a theme to intentionally boot loop innocent peoples phones. But, it really is not that big of a deal. It seems more of a practical joke than anything really malicious. Anyone that has ever flashed roms has had a boot loop and knows what to do, if they don't then they don't need to root to start with. After reading the irc threads it seems that redmanx is a bit of a punk who doesn't mind taking peoples work and doing what he pleases no matter what the maker thinks. Just look at his comments about porting 928's theme. If it was my work, I'd be a little ticked too.

16. Psychokitty

Great. So now we (end users) have to question everything we load.

jevfr, you've effectively stated, "well, bootloops are a part of flashing, and if you can't handle one, you shouldn't be doing it anyway" in an effort to suggest that this is no big deal. Well it really is a big deal. This may seem like a harmless prank or "practical joke" now, but if anyone knows how to brick a phone it's these developers. I know you believe there is no justification for punishing end users for the actions of other developers. But I believe anyone writing malicious code into anything should be shunned unanimously by the developing community.
    -Hell, you all basically did that to BlackDroid, and there was no actual malice involved in what he was accused of doing.
    My concern is that this will become a tit for tat situation and escalate into worse things being done to people's phones.

stewart1champ likes this.
  17. stewart1champ

+100000000000

A noob possibly didn't have a backup, guess where they are at, square 1, doing an RSD or whatever. I seriously have doubts about continuing myself. I don't want to be questioned when I bootloop someones phone, as I know I have many times with UD already, and also with Liquid 1.5, but I guarantee it is not intentional. At all. I hate when people from the community have problems with my stuff.... Now, who says someone won't take it, add a bunch of shit to it, stick my name on it, then I get the accusations. I think he opened up a pandora's box, if you will. I don't like the situation at all.

And as a user said at another forum.... suppose he was mad at CVPCS or Cyanogen.... wonder if the treatment would have been different???? Or if because it was UD and his users, if the punishment was meh...okay....

18. jevfr

jevfr Active Member

I didn't do a thing to Greg. I continued to use UD and I like his work. We can "what if" this forever, but no one bricked anyones phone. I'm not defending the guy and I don't like what he did, but I think it's being blown out of proportion.

19. jevfr

jevfr Active Member

That's a very good point and I think you're spot on. To me, what happened with Greg was childish and what Brian did was also childish. I'm still don't know entire story with BD and the only ones who do are the parties directly involved. I don't see why we can't be adults(those of us who are) about all this crap and stop whining about who did what to whom. There is A LOT more in this world to worry about than this trivial crap.

20. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Glad to see this 1) Stayed on Topic, and 2) averted a flame war.

Now, would the OP mind changing the title since this is no longer an issue?