Warranty Duration

Last Updated:

1. toasty

toasty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, so we know that rooting the phone voids the warranty, but does anyone know off the top of your head how long that warranty is? Would like to know how much time I'd be giving up by rooting the phone -- if it's only 90 days or something, I'm already pretty close to being out of warranty, so there's not a lot of downside to rooting...

TIA

Advertisement
  2. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

While rooting does void your warranty, you can always RUU your phone before taking it back to Sprint. This way, you don't have to worry about it being voided.

As for the warranty itself, I'm not 100% sure. I have equip protection on my phone, so I'm covered for the duration of the time I have the phone. I believe the warranty length should be listed in your agreement contract.

3. toasty

Hmm. I was under the impression that once you root the phone, that will be apparent to Sprint even if you roll back the process, if you will. is that not the case?

I actually have the equipment protection as well, though, so I guess the duration of the mfr's warranty is a bit moot for me. Good call.

4. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

If you RUU, there is no way to tell that you've rooted. Especially if you remove anything having to do with rooting and ROM's from the SD card if you have to take the phone back.

5. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

If you root your phone, then use the RUU, it will return your phone back to stock settings, as though it was right from the store. There should be no evidence of ever rooting it.

6. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

as far as the warranty of the phone... I believe that there is a HTC warranty that covers hardware failure (not damage) for 1 year.

7. andrewcgrimm

andrewcgrimm Well-Known Member

ummm... HTC (and every other phone manufacture you have had) actually provided you information on your warranty. Its in that book that they sent with your phone.

Come on people do some kind of research BEFORE posting.

8. toasty

Respectfully, no kidding, which is why I didn't feign complete ignorance of the warranty duration or purport to have no clue how to figure it out, I asked if anyone knew off the top of their head. Wasn't looking for anyone to do any research for me, just asking if anyone knew.

Actually, let me retract the "respectfully" part. It's really tough to enjoy this forum when there are people like you on here, trolling around, looking for an excuse to flame people. Yes, I asked a question that I could have answered if I were home and were able to locate my manual, but I figured that people in the "rooting" forum might have performed this risk-reward analysis before and would have that info at their fingertips. Sue me -- or better yet, just ignore the post and move on.