• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Warranty Replacement for Droid 1---What did they tell you and what did they send you.

Wow, I got a 'like new' droid replacement a few weeks, ago and I am having the EXACT same problems you are!

I am not rooted, don't have the time to do that now, and am probably going to get the droid 2 global within a month or 2.

Don't know if it's worth it to get another replacement that is 'like new', or stick with this because except for the lag, everything else is fine.

I have moved as much from main memory to sd card, but still have lots of stuff there...

I don't know if I am just having bad luck, or if I just have too high of expectations, but every Droid I get (have had 4 replacements due to various issues) lags so bad at times that I just want to throw it against a wall. Then other times, it works like a champ. I have times where I can't get any home screen icons to show up for a full min or 2, which is totally unreasonable to me.

I have minimized the apps I have installed to ensure there is plenty of memory, I have also eliminated all widgets from my screen, yet I still see the issues.

Is this a common issue with the original Droid (Maybe the processor or memory isn't good enough), if so, how do you all hold back from throwing it?

Upvote 0
so i bought a droid from a guy on craigslist and the now the power button isnt working, is there anything I can do. If I call vzw will they maybe send me a replacement?
Your ONLY option is to pay $50 (or thats the amount it was about a year ago) for an out of warranty replacement. Since you didn't purchase the phone from them you don't have a warranty on your phone.

Upvote 0
is that without insurance ?
Correct that would be without insurance.
IF you were able to get VZW to insure the phone (don't know how you did it, I tried like hell and they wouldn't let me with my last BB) then you can call the insurance people, pay the deductible and away you go, however last time I checked, the insurance route was more expensive.

Upvote 0
Yeah, what I thought as well. but when I had my storm, bought on ebay, and it got messed up due to manufacturer defect (so this doesn't work if you drop it in your pool or throw it) then VZW can as a courtesy send you an out of warranty replacement.

If you google VZW Out of replacement warranty you'll see that this actually happens a lot. Its one of the best features offered by VZW in my opinion.

Upvote 0
anyone go through asuiron recently for a replacement? I'm just curious if they have the d1 available or not? Last night I got hot (AZ) and took my hoodie off, oops, phone was in my hoodie pocket and it fell out. I've dropped my d1 a lot but this time the screen cracked. Its not that big of a crack but it bugs the hell out of me.

I have an upgrade available (bought my d1 on craigslist) to use but instead of spending $100-$200 on a new phone it'd be cool to use my insurance and get an upgrade for $50. :D

Upvote 0
After my Droid started having problems, I got 6 bad "like new" Droids from VZW with problems ranging from loose screens to defective keyboards to non-responsive power buttons. I talked to a manager who offered to send me a refurbished like new Droid 2. I asked if I could get a Droid X instead and he said that he could only offer me a Droid 2 since it's the "upgraded version" of my Droid. I took the refubed Droid 2 and it's been working fine so far.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, need some opinions.

I am on my 4th Droid and 5th refurbished unit from Verizon in about ~2 months time. This particular device's proximity sensor is defective, it always hangs up on people and dials random numbers with my face near it. I read online a program called Sensor Test would read if your sensor is bad, and it confirmed my suspicions.

Now I do not want anything more than I am entitled to, but if given the D2 upgrade, is there any chance I can ask for the Global version? I will be traveling to China this summer and it may be nice to have that feature... if offered a D2 can I pay a little more to get upgraded, or is it really out of my hands?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones