• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Was I Late To The Update Party?

CoyotesFan4Evr

Android Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
Phoenix
So, Saturday I woke up and looked at my phone and saw that there was an update ready to come thru. Naturally I accepted it and since I'm stock rooted it booted into the flash menu. Which screwed me up and I just rebooted my phone and delayed the update until later. I'm just wondering what this update was suppose to do or what it did do? I haven't seen anything different. It took me a bit to even find the update in the files. This is something I was unaware of when I rooted my phone. I just thought I would have to pull updates manually and flash them myself as a worst case scenario. Best case is that they come thru as though I'm not rooted and everything works perfectly.

So again I ask what was this update for?

I thought that it was for talk back with what I was able to find on it and read. My issue was finding it in the bootloader menu it forced me to. I was unaware that, that would happen. I guess it's the changing of the times and software. I don't use talk back at all. I did before on other phones but it's loud and annoying and I'm going for sleek and smooth. I appreciate the help as always. Hopefully the mega update will come soon, but I'm not really in to much of a hurry....unless it means sense 5.

Upvote 0
I thought that it was for talk back with what I was able to find on it and read. My issue was finding it in the bootloader menu it forced me to. I was unaware that, that would happen. I guess it's the changing of the times and software. I don't use talk back at all. I did before on other phones but it's loud and annoying and I'm going for sleek and smooth. I appreciate the help as always. Hopefully the mega update will come soon, but I'm not really in to much of a hurry....unless it means sense 5.

remember coyotes,you cannot accept OTAs at all if youre running a custom recovery.

there are some sense 5 roms out now,including a leaked stock one. no reason you can flash one rather than waiting for an OTA :)

Upvote 0
Then how was I able to get the mini update? I know what I did to become rooted. I know there is a custom recovery installed but it forced me into it when I accepted the mini update. Anyways, I've been back and forth with flashing a rom on my daily use phone but honestly I have been totally happy with stock rooted access. I'll look into the leaked update version you speak of but a link to it would be AWESOME!!

I don't know who to thank more since being here, you scotty or Thom. You guys help me out so much it's crazy.

Upvote 0
Then how was I able to get the mini update? I know what I did to become rooted. I know there is a custom recovery installed but it forced me into it when I accepted the mini update.
you were not able to get the mini update. if you check your build number in settings/about phone, youll likely find youre sitll 2.06.xxx

if you do see 2.07,youre in a state of half-update,as your custom recovery did flash some of the update files,but was unable to flash firmware. if this is the case,your on a miss matched firmware/software and may find that your wifi has stopped working :eek:

make sure you do not allow OTAs when your running a custom recovery. period. in a best case the OTA will fail,in a worse case you could find yourself with a tricky to recover soft brick.

Anyways, I've been back and forth with flashing a rom on my daily use phone but honestly I have been totally happy with stock rooted access. I'll look into the leaked update version you speak of but a link to it would be AWESOME!!.

linked it above ;) :

Upvote 0
As always scotty I appreciate your help but my phone is in perfect running order and nothing failed when I did the update. I am on software 2.07.605.1 and have no issues at all. I guess perhaps I'm lucky in that?

EDIT: I rarely ever use wifi. I don't know why but I'm just against using it in a normal capacity like everyone else does.

Upvote 0
As always scotty I appreciate your help but my phone is in perfect running order and nothing failed when I did the update. I am on software 2.07.605.1 and have no issues at all. I guess perhaps I'm lucky in that?

im not sure about that,coyotes,im pretty confused about your situation now. in the OP you stated there was an update that failed becasue of your custom recovery and you defered it. now youre saying nothing failed wheny you did the the update :thinking:

the bottom line,is that if you are on build 2.07.605.1 then either one of 2 things happened:
1)your custom recovery installed some/all of the system files but no firmware leaving you in the half update described above. if this is the case the answer is "yes. you are lucky everything is working correctly" as more often than not,in this scenario,things are less than perfect

or

2)you are not running a custom recovery and the update was installed completely. if this is the case,youll prolly find your moonshine hboot to be gone

Hey scotty, do you have the link for the rom with sense 5 like you were talking about? I'll keep looking, just wanted to cut down on time.
here you go coyotes:
(10.8.13) Team Venom Presents ViperDNA Sense5 | Droid DNA > XDA

viper is a very nice,customizble rom

there are a couple others here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1966

Upvote 0
OK, I apologize for the confusion. This is what happened, I deffered the update at first and later I went in told it to update and when my recovery screen came up which is TeamWin I looked around until I saw the OTA update file. It installed and did all the fun stuff it's suppose to do. I hope that makes it clear. I did however use the link you gave me and downloaded and installed the OTA zip and well there was no change.

I appreciate as always the help. I have been considering the Viper Rom but I also was looking at the Sense 5 alpha Rom that by all accounts with what I've read is stable and fully functional. Viper has a ton of stuff going on with it and that's cool, but I just want to basically have sense 5, blinkfeed, and run Nova launcher prime. I'll have to flash and try them in order to know I guess. Any help with a push one way or the other would be awesome.

Upvote 0
Alright I am at a crossroad, I WAS leaning towards the Sense 5 Android 4.2.2 rom made by Joelz on XDA. After reading most of the 113 thread pages I'm not so sure as there have been issues with things such as ear piece sound and data not connecting. I realize that the opening of that thread says it's alpha but for as long as it's been out and all the fixes that are available I would reckon that it's stable and working well now.

I looked at Viper rom and while it has TONS of options for customizing I'm just not totally sold on it because it's still based on Android 4.1. I have a third option and that's the NOS m7 ROM. I'm not fully sold on it either though. That one on the other hand has blink feed, and sense 5. It also has a 950 page thread that I have yet to read all the way thru at all. Pointing me in more of a better direction between these 3 would be awesome as always.

I'm not asking for a miracle here people, I'm just needing help making up my mind. I have a ton of pictures on my phone so I can't load all these ROM's on my phone and then flash between them. Thanks again as always.

Upvote 0
I'm not asking for a miracle here people, I'm just needing help making up my mind. I have a ton of pictures on my phone so I can't load all these ROM's on my phone and then flash between them. Thanks again as always.

sorry coyotes,no one here can make up your mind. thats the good thing about making a nandroid- all you have to do is restore it and youre back to where you left off :p

i suggest you stop putting so much thot into it and just spend a couple days on each one.after that,it will prolly be pretty easily apparent wich one has the features,functionality and stability that you want. :)

also,id suggest you read thru this thread for some info on sense 5:
http://androidforums.com/htc-one/691279-sense-5-discussion-setup-blink-feed-etc.html

thats the one general forum but there is a TON of good info on sense 5 particulars. you may be disapointed with the ability to run a different launcher and still have blinkfeed,wich is a part of the sense launcher.

Upvote 0
I'm not the type to jump from ROM to ROM. I normally read read read, watch a video on the ROM, and then finally I jump into it. That's why I', having the issue choosing which one to go with because I have read about the issues. I guess I'll keep reading for now. My phone seems to be possessed at the moment because it keeps reverting back to the stock launcher for no reason at all. Other than that tiny update that came thru that's the only thing I've changed on the phone so far. Grr. Thanks again though scotty!

Upvote 0
So, I have a friend that has received 2 large updates in 2 weeks. But my friend is on the S4. Not sure why a phone not as old as the DNA would get updates before. I realize it's Verizon. But seriously!? This just isn't right to the consumers. Oh and for the record I have a custom Rom on my phone that is awesome.....

Upvote 0
So, I have a friend that has received 2 large updates in 2 weeks. But my friend is on the S4. Not sure why a phone not as old as the DNA would get updates before. I realize it's Verizon. But seriously!? This just isn't right to the consumers. Oh and for the record I have a custom Rom on my phone that is awesome.....

thats a pretty apple to oranges comparison coyotes. samsung is not htc,and unfortunately,older devices are not on the same priority list as new ones. the extent that verizon weaves their bloat into the software, makes updates difficult for any OEM,and the extent that sense is woven into android makes it even more difficult for htc,especially as new sense versions come out. verizons complex 2 radio setup for LTE dont help matters either when coding updates.

i left verizon for the following reasons:
-cost!!
-keeping their devices from the official unlock program
-slow updates to new android versions and minimal support for older devices

you do have choices :p

luckily custom rom devs make it possible to enjoy a device much longer than the OEMs intended!

Upvote 0
As always Scotty you have good words. And some good points. While cost is not great with Verizon, they have the BEST service around. I live in phoenix, and between sprint, t mobile, and att. Verizon beats them all in coverage and service. I tried, sprint and att. Wasn't happy, so I stuck with big red.

Have cell phone companies really gone the way of the huge corporations in this world?! What happened to actually caring about customers and being good to the ones that are loyal? Verizon use to do that. Even my mom who has been with them for over 20 years, back when there were just car phones doesn't get the service she use to get from them. It just doesn't compute for me. The better you are to customers the more money they are willing to spend when the time calls for it. It's simple math in my opinion.

Upvote 0
i never had any issue with vzw's customer service. reps always treated me right,and took care of my prollems,wich i honestly had very few of. i have been with them over 10 years,switching to them from cingular :eek:

no doubt or arguments on their coverage and service. i drive over 200 miles a day around the dayton oh area,and can compare service in a variety of situations. i still had vzw service in the most obscure little towns and away from the cities.

i am fortunate enuff to spend 99% of my time within t mobiles service area and have real no need for the level of service vzw provides. my GF just added her mom to our plan,so now i have 5 lines and my bill is $50 cheaper than it was with vzw with 4 lines, with the added benefit of all lines having data and unlimited minutes. prior we had to share a finite number of minutes and i was the only line with data.

dayton is refarmed with t mobiles LTE network,so other unlocked phones worked well on it,and most days the LTE is just as fast as i saw in this area with vzw(other folks report higher speeds elsewhere,but in the real world i never got that good here) so i have no complaints.

since i hve phone ADD i like gsm becasue using a different device is as easy as swapping the sim card,lol

Upvote 0
It's not the customer service reps per say, it's the fact that all Verizon cares about anymore is how big the bottom line is when each year ends. Taking away unlimited data, taking away phone discounts that account owners used to get, taking away the chance to upgrade at 20 months, and the list goes on. And I have extended family on t mobile that while their house is a cell phone dead zone for every service but Verizon, they get that deal for 50 bucks. Which is fine but t mobile doesn't offer contracts anymore. So there is no discounts on the phone you get with them. I think it makes going with them more expensive. I have 5 phones and one device on my account and with it split 3 ways I only pay 120-130 a month. But I'm paying for two lines. With sprint I was paying that just for my line.

Upvote 0
they are offering more of a discount if you break it down. with t mobile you have the option to subsidize a new phone,wich is basically the same idea all the contract carries use,with exception that not getting a new device with vzw does not make their plans cheaper.

with t mobile,if you pick up a new htc one,you can put $100 down and then pay $20 a month,or $70(50+20),or $90(50+20+20) a month if you want unlimited high speed data.

with vzw the best you can do is $90 per month for 8gb plus $40 for a smartphone,and youll either pay $150 and sign a 2 year contract,or with verizon edge youll pay $23 a month(bringing the 8gb total to $150ish a month :eek:)

with t mobile you at least have the option to bring your own device,or purchase a device outright and only pay for the plan. plus you can pay a very reasonable $10 for 2gb of high speed or $20 for unlimited high speed.

another good option is straight talk. if you chose an att based service,it uses att towers,and is now allowing use of LTE with a compatible device. cost is $45 for unlimited everything(tho they do throttle you after 2gb) and it works as good as att since its using their towers.

i agree with you comepetely on the rest. vzw does not seem to care about their customers with all the changes theyre making. they may have the most stable network,and they are really proud of it!

it just depends on your situation and needs. im lucky to have good LTE t mo service at my house and most places i go. i had vzw grandfathered unlimited data as well,and believe me it was a hard decision to leave.

Upvote 0
Soooo, I don't want to start yet another new thread if I don't have to but I have a problem. I was downloading some apps from the play store today and I decided to get rid of one of them, so I swiped the notification bar down, long pressed on the downloaded app and selected info. I then hit uninstall. All the while this was giving me info on that app. Well turns out I apparently uninstalled the play store. I'm currently running Nos m7 Rom. The Rom has been abandoned over on xda as the developer had some financial issues that caused him to sell the phone. The website to all the downloads is suspended so I can't even reflash the Rom over top of what I have to get play back. So what I'm asking for is a gapps zip that I can flash onto my DNA and call it good. I can't stress enough on how badly I don't want to go to another Rom because of this. I have a feeling that is going to be a suggestion. I honestly love this Rom and it's the only one so far that is slim enough for me and runs sense 5.

Upvote 0
Soooo, I don't want to start yet another new thread if I don't have to but I have a problem. I was downloading some apps from the play store today and I decided to get rid of one of them, so I swiped the notification bar down, long pressed on the downloaded app and selected info. I then hit uninstall. All the while this was giving me info on that app. Well turns out I apparently uninstalled the play store. I'm currently running Nos m7 Rom. The Rom has been abandoned over on xda as the developer had some financial issues that caused him to sell the phone. The website to all the downloads is suspended so I can't even reflash the Rom over top of what I have to get play back. So what I'm asking for is a gapps zip that I can flash onto my DNA and call it good. I can't stress enough on how badly I don't want to go to another Rom because of this. I have a feeling that is going to be a suggestion. I honestly love this Rom and it's the only one so far that is slim enough for me and runs sense 5.

well,coyotes,you might consider starting new threads in the future. folks lots of times will skip over a thread thats been up for awhile since they have no idea that youre asking a new question. starting a new thread is more likely to attract others to help you when they see a new thread with no replies,or just a couple replies,and its possibly a subject they may know a bit more about.

not to mention,the info we give you is not easily found by folks in the future who have similar prollems,like it would be if it were in a thread with a descriptive title.

just my 2 cents for what they are worth ;)

on to your issue,defiantely the quickes and easiest thing would be to relfash your rom. why does it matter that the rom has been abandoned? you have a copy on your pc,right?

I have the file on my computer so that's not an issue.

:eek: :D ;)

alternately,you could ask the folks in the development thread if they could either:
1)mirror the whole rom for you in its most recent version so you have it in the future for similar situations.

2)pull the play store .apk from the rom and upload it for you. you could then download it,move it to system/app and install it.

aside from that,you could:
-make a backup of your current rom
-restore an older nandroid that the play store is still present.
-pull play store from system/app and either upload it for yourself,or copy it to your sd card so you can get to it after restoring the backup with the play store missing.

you could also try wiping data,cache,and dalvik on your play store present nandroid. then restore JUST the data from your no play store nandroid if your recovery will allow that.

one of those things should get play store back for you. :)

Upvote 0
Yeah I should have probably started a new thread but I didn't want to create unneeded clutter in the form by posting something that will only get a couple replies. I think I have one on my computer. If I don't....well then I guess I'll have to flash a new Rom. By the way, isn't Gapps the Google play store?

dont worry about clutter. thats what the forums are for. :) i have limited time on the PC,so i if i put forth the effort to type a reply,then i like it to be accessible for as many folks as possible. this why i dont provide support at all in PMs,and i would prefer that each topic had its own thread so when folks searched it would come up.

why would you have to flash a new rom? i gave you some other alternatives.

gapps are a collection of googles proprietary apps,including the play store.

you cannot simply flash a gapps package,as the frameworks and possibly the permissions between AOSP and sense are different,but you could download a gapps package,and pull the .apk from it,and attempt to sideload it.

you may need to ask in your roms dev thread what permissions play store has,and change them accordingly.

Upvote 0
No need to move your posts coyotes. Just keep it in mind for when you have future questions. :)

Sorry I can't be of much help in the Rom dept... I don't have this phone.

Your other options are to have another user upload the Rom for you,or to sideload the playstore app. I gave you a few ideas how to obtain it. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones