• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Was wondering if this app exists

VmPas

Mar 19, 2012
I was wondering if an app exists with alot of voice activated functionality whether it be via bluetooth or not. I do alot of driving with my job and would like something where I could tell my Galaxy to do something like "Call Home" or "text message dad" and even read messages and email to me or any kind of text. Does anybody know if something like this exists?

Secondly I heard that there is an app that will project driving information(speed, miles traveled, etc) on your windshield? Does something like this exist as well?

A lot of that functionality is already built into the phone. On the home screen hold down the search button, and choose the voice recognition service you would like to use. From there you can tell it to send messages and other stuff.

If you go to Settings, then Voice Input and Output, you can turn on driving mode which reads out all texts and emails when you receive them.

Upvote 0
Alright got that down, now is there a way to configure or to tell if my Droid is listening to me via the on board mic or the bluetooth headset?

It's really going to depend on several factors, most of which will be determined by the headset or hands-free system. I haven't used a headset since I got a new car last year that came with Mistubishi's Fuze hands-free setup. If I activate the system using the controls on the steering wheel, only the voice commands from the car are recognized. If I activate voice commands from the phone, it only recognizes the Google voice command set through the phone's mic, but it will play the audio through the car's audio system. You might want to experiment a bit and see what features and options you have with your setup.

BTW, if you set up a contact called 'calendar' and set the number to '48368' (no quotes on either) you can use voice commands to set calendar appointments. The first time you use it, you'll have to approve that your contact can make appointments, but after that it's automatic.

You might say "send text to calendar meeting with bob at two o'clock on thursday." It will set a calendar appointment using your defaults at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday and title it "Meeting with Bob." It's a cool, but little known feature.

Reactions: LouWags
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones