• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Watch Movies on Droid?

I work in instructional technology. So I've played with converting videos for my job a lot. Handbrake seems to do better conversion than Mediacoder and SUPER. It does an amazing job, even with HD content. I use it to convert videos for my Droid and for the 360 at home.

I posted a lot in that thread about my experience with Handbrake. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions. If you use the iPod Touch/iPhone setting (which I recommend), be sure to change the width to up to 854 (Droid resolution). You want to be sure to use the beautiful screen to its full potential. If I remember off hand, iPhone is only 640. Plus make sure the audio is Stereo.

That's about it. I didn't know Handbrake updated. I'll remote into my computer at home and install it.

As for video players, I recommend mVideoPlayer. It's free and does most everything Act1 can do. It won't fix your stuttering issue, though. No player will as it's either the video itself or your Droid chugging. I had issues with videos on a couple of ROMs (if you're rooted), but it's been smooth sailing lately.

Reactions: rsknow
Upvote 0
I use DVD Catalyst 3. It has 3 settings built into it specifically for the Droid. I just convert the DVD using this program and copy it to a folder I created on the SD card and use Astro to select and play it. I do agree that there should be an easier way to get movies on the Droid, but for me this works.

I showed my boss a movie on my Droid after using this program and he was extremely jealous that his iPhone movies didn't look this good.

Upvote 0
OK so I've read through the forum topic

Put Videos on Droid

I'm not sure if it was just too technical for me but I need a simple answer. Is there an easy way for me to download movies and watch them on my droid?

Free or not, I'm looking for an iTunes like solution?

I use DVD Fab. It has an option for ipod and then just drag and drop. I also use this program for many other things. Really great program!

Upvote 0
Ok, so i read most of the posts here, and while there are some good ideas, none of them really helped him much as he had to move movies from his PC to his phone.. that takes time..

If you want to go that way:

DVD43 will allow you to take most DVDs and decrypt them allowing you to make a copy onto your pc without needed a DVD burner, jsut need dvd PLAYER.

once DVD43 gives the go ahead, use Handbreak(like everyone said) to copy the DVD onto the PC using the iPod settings.. this will and does work for the Droid as i have over 40 movies that work on my Droid at this time.. and they aslo work on BBs and other devices as well.. not to mention a nice compressed way to move movies from PC to PC.. we share movies a lot at work.

As for actually streaming movies.. there are 2 different Apps that do it... i can't remember one of them off hand.. but LukLuk (when it wants to work) will give you about 50 movies, that get updated once in a while, that you can stream to your phone.. some are old movies, some are random C and B rated movies.. but they have some Blockbuster hits like Titanic and Independence Day as well.

Good luck All

Upvote 0
I am also getting the black screen on my Droid. It plays fine on the PC. It sounds great...I used a few video players.
Using Handbrake settings I got from the other thread...
Picture
Web obtimized
Width: 480 (keep aspect ratio)
Anamorphic: None

Video Filters
All off

Video
Codec: H.264
Framerate: same as source
Avg Bitrate: 300

Audio
mixdown: auto
bitrate: 112
DRC: 2.5

I'm heading to Europe on vacation next week, so I really hope to get this figured out before that long plane ride!

Upvote 0
ummm ...
The guy's question was ... is there an itunes like app where movies can be purchased for droid. I like converting the DRM from all my iPhone files, I like ripping a dvd. Tons ans TONS of apps that were suggested sound great for doing this.
But is there an iTunes like app for droid for purchasing movies?
I mean, I didn't see anyone answer ... is there an iTunes like app for droid for purchasing movies?
and b/c I know some of you are are techies and probably zooted on Mountain Dew right now, I'll just repeat
Is there an iTunes like app on Droid for purchasing movies?

If not, I may just hold on to my iPhone a little longer.

Upvote 0
Some Video/TV Solutions:

Flixster found in Market: For $4 per month you get access to a really large selection of television seasons. There's a ton of them. I watched 24, Heroes, and Dexter with a co-worker at lunch over a span of a few months.

I have a 2 links to large mediafire libraries of movies formatted for the Droid. One is formatted for HQ and looks great! But movies are about 1.5GB each and I have a ton of music. I also have a smaller library where the movies are under a GB. Let me know if you want the links and I'll PM them to you. Not sure if I can post them here.

Also, Hulu is supposed to have a premium service coming out for the Droid, I believe Blockbuster does as well. There should be multiple ways to watch movies on your Droid very soon.

Upvote 0
I've been using Any Video Converter Free for a while now with no problems. I've successfuly converted several movies and TV shows to watch on my moto Droid. It can either create a folder for me, usually labeled Mp4 or save to one of my choosing. So far all have worked wonderfully with the stock media player. It's free, works great so far and even worked for a couple other phones and media players.

Upvote 0
I got all excited when I got my Ipod to start converting and loading movie. I did about 10 of them and never watched them. I guess at work I mostly work, in the car I mostly drive, in a plane I mostly read (or listen to audio books) at home I have a big plazma. I can live without the video on my phone. I may only hit youtube every now and then if I don't have a computer handy for a quick refresh on some guitar lesson but that is about it. And, that I would still rather watch on my TV or computer.
This is one craze I can let pass by...thankfully.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones