• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

watches

How do you use your watch?

• Watch I dont need no stinkin' watch! (dont use at all)

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Wear it daily, its my main source of time.

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • wear it daily but just for looks.

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • Only on special occasions.

Votes: 16 16.7%

• Total voters
I'll wear watches if I dress up or go to work. If I dress up, I feel it just adds more style to your outfit. For work, I feel it makes you look a bit more professional, also I have a tattoo on my wrist (yes poor professional choice, damn you high school choices) and a watch helps cover it up or at least draw attention away from it.

Upvote 0
I'll wear watches if I dress up or go to work. If I dress up, I feel it just adds more style to your outfit. For work, I feel it makes you look a bit more professional, also I have a tattoo on my wrist (yes poor professional choice, damn you high school choices) and a watch helps cover it up or at least draw attention away from it.
Cant be no worse than my former supervisor naked lady on his forearm. WHen we was boiught by another company. First thing our new president told him was you need to wear long sleeve shirts :D.

Upvote 0

same I have a kanji symbol on each forearm, and although theyre minor tattoos, working sales and constantly being in the public I need to detract as much attention from my tattoos as possible and my watch help tons. I love my tattoos and dont regret them in the lest just wish i went with a more conservative placement, even lower wrist would ahve been better.

Upvote 0
I wore a watch for forty years or more. I went nowhere without a watch. Not only a time piece but I enjoyed the date feature of later day watches. I loved the digital watches and was one of the first to have one. I now use my phone for my time.. and everything else you can think of. I have an alarm set to notify me of quiting time at my work even... something a person doesn't want to mess up lol. I still wear a dress watch when I'm going out for dinner etc.. but it's entirely dress accessory.
I have no need to have a watch on my arm for time purposes.

Upvote 0
I wore a watch for over 30 years until last year when my watch broke. Since I carry my phone around all the time, I felt I no longer needed a watch.

Regarding analogue clocks, I love them. I have several in my house. The only digital clocks I have are my clock radios in the bedroom because I can read the time on them in the dark. I'm in my forties, so I grew up when analogue clocks were still very common. My clock widget on my phone has an analogue face, even.

I was actually surprised that a friend of mine who is only 5 years younger could not read analogue clocks. (Actually he could, but it takes him time to figure it out.) I was confused when he asked me what time it was when he was over at my place. I pointed to the clock and he mentioned he could not read it quickly.

Upvote 0
remembered i made this post and instead of making whole new post im necroing this one.

Sadly I lost my watch the other day (more so I think it was stolen). I was at the gym after work and left my watch in the gym locker. Apparently I forgot to fully close the padlock, and after my workout I came back to find my watch and wallet gone :( luckily i dont carry any cash on me and i was able to get my cards canceled before any purchases were made.
haha, more so? it was definitely stolen :p Time for a new one? ;)

I was actually surprised that a friend of mine who is only 5 years younger could not read analogue clocks. (Actually he could, but it takes him time to figure it out.) I was confused when he asked me what time it was when he was over at my place. I pointed to the clock and he mentioned he could not read it quickly.
WOW that's sad. This would be something I'd expect from younger generations not someone that grew up with analog clocks. I don't understand how someone can't read analog clocks if you're not a kid that is. I mean, I was taught how to read the time with an analog clock. I know my 5 yo nephew doesn't even understand what an analog clock is, lol. We only have digital clocks at home so he can tell the time from looking at the Cable box, stove, microwave, alarm XD I'm curious if he'll learn to read an analog clock at school.

Upvote 0
haha, more so? it was definitely stolen :p Time for a new one? ;)

WOW that's sad. This would be something I'd expect from younger generations not someone that grew up with analog clocks. I don't understand how someone can't read analog clocks if you're not a kid that is. I mean, I was taught how to read the time with an analog clock. I know my 5 yo nephew doesn't even understand what an analog clock is, lol. We only have digital clocks at home so he can tell the time from looking at the Cable box, stove, microwave, alarm XD I'm curious if he'll learn to read an analog clock at school.

yes.. sign of the times..

like spelling.. or remembering people's phone numbers.

spelling.. because spell check..

phone numbers .. because cell phones...

i am guilty of this to some degree.

Upvote 0
yes.. sign of the times..

like spelling.. or remembering people's phone numbers.

spelling.. because spell check..
I'm a horrible speller, so spell check is a life saver for me!

phone numbers .. because cell phones...

i am guilty of this to some degree.

I knew a few people, to overcome this, they only save the phone numbers (no names) in the phonebook. So when someone calls, they are force to know who the number belongs to. The good thing about this...people that steal your phone, can't steal your contact info, lol.

haha got to say...damn technology seems to be making us more stupid as technology advances.

Upvote 0
eww calculators! cant stand those evil things. so many of my friends cant do basic math in their head anymore because schools only teach students how to solve a problem with the calculator, not teaching them how to actually utilize the formula. and im only 21, its not like im an old fart either! (no offense to all you old farts on here :p) When we go out to dinner no one knows how to calculate a tip without a calculator except for me :(

Upvote 0
I dont wear one anymore. I used to years ago. Whats funny is I worked in a jewelry store and a watch was all I wore form the store.

If I would it would be more for looks. At the same time it has to be something I can use. I had a watch with no hour or minute markers. It just had a black face and the 2 hands. Drove me crazy trying to figure if it was 6:17, 6:18, 6:19...

When I do start wearing one again, it has to have a leather band. Working in a jewelry store and having to remove or add links to a metal band to fit your wrist turned me off.

Upvote 0
I LOVE watches!! I am lost without my watch, not totally because of looking at the time, but I just feel ODD without it. I'm always buying new ones too. I love big chunky colourful watches and went througha few BabyG watches, different colours, I was looking for a Toy Watch when I went to Florida in March but couldnt find one, so ended up buying a BabyG for

Upvote 0
Rolex Submariner...
rolex_submariner_50th-thumb-450x337-3834.jpeg

... only 200 RMB in XilinHot, Inner Mongolia.

Upvote 0
I own a bit over 130 watches. I collect them (mainly vintage - late 60's to late 70's Japanese watches, but with plenty of modern Japanese, Swiss and custom made pieces). Most of it is mechanical and automatic, but there is a quartz component to the collection as well.

I find that ton of people still wear watches, though in many cases spending on a high end piece is nolonger something most seem to aspire to. That $100-$200 range were lots of very competent, quartz powered fashion pieces are found seems to be the range where the bulk of people buy watches.

Here is part of the collection open on a table:

IMG_0049.jpg
Are there any pocket watches made today that are strictly wind up. If not, what would be a good choice for a used ,low end ,reliable pocket timepiece,in case I see one in a pawn shop or garage sale. I wear wristwatches sometimes but still like a good pocket watch(they seem to be a lot tougher and its harder to mess up the crystal).Plus it hard to wear a wristwatch if your dress shirt has french cuffs

Upvote 0
I love watches. Partly for look, partly for time piece. I prefer to gaze at a pretty face than rifle through my pockets for my phone

I stated on fashion watches but graduated to swiss. I have s modern day quartz swiss, 2 1970's automatic mechanicals and a 1969 manual wind.

I wear the.modern day quartz daily. The manual is fully serviced but I don't.like a leather strap everyday. The autos need some work but they're hard to source.

Upvote 0
Are there any pocket watches made today that are strictly wind up. If not, what would be a good choice for a used ,low end ,reliable pocket timepiece,in case I see one in a pawn shop or garage sale. I wear wristwatches sometimes but still like a good pocket watch(they seem to be a lot tougher and its harder to mess up the crystal).Plus it hard to wear a wristwatch if your dress shirt has french cuffs

Mechanical pocket watches made today aren't that special, unless were talking very high end. If you want a nice pocket watch, you want to buy old American brand, such Hamilton, Elgin, Waltham, illinois, etc etc. If you look up vintage American pocket watches, you will see what I am talking about. The Americans made the best pocket watches, most can't be beat!

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
I love watches. Partly for look, partly for time piece. I prefer to gaze at a pretty face than rifle through my pockets for my phone

I stated on fashion watches but graduated to swiss. I have s modern day quartz swiss, 2 1970's automatic mechanicals and a 1969 manual wind.

I wear the.modern day quartz daily. The manual is fully serviced but I don't.like a leather strap everyday. The autos need some work but they're hard to source.

What kind of autos do you have, and what kind of work do they need?

Upvote 0
ya think?

that reminds me of this one time in Cancun mexico.
this kid selling stuff at the local market.. he had on a Rolex. I said .. business must be good.... is that real?

he said.. yes.. real.. mexican real! had to laugh!
he pulled out a box full of them...

i got one.. for fun... it lasted 12 months.. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones